490 Math. Help for 800?

<p><a href="http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/jefgreen/SAT%20I/MathematicsScoreReport.png%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/jefgreen/SAT%20I/MathematicsScoreReport.png&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>This is my score report for the Mathematics Section.</p>

<p>sorry, but frankly not happening. be happy breaking 650.</p>

<p>Even if your 490 came without studying, it shows that you just don't have the math skills at this point to get an 800. </p>

<p>you got 2 of the difficult questions correct. i'm sorry, but you're not turning it this far around.</p>

<p>Use Gruber's. Practice with the Collegeboard Blue Book. I'm not guaranteeing an 800, but i believe with anough effort you can get a 700 at least. Good luck</p>

<p>Thanks, IBfootballer. You were absolutely no help at all. My writing score was a 780/800.</p>

<p>Even someone really stupid can break at least 700. Stop holding such a pessimistic view.</p>

<p>^Just for clarification, your writing score has no relevance to your math performance. </p>

<p>Also,there's no need to point out your opinion on IBfootballer's help. Just wait for more opinions and comments, I'm sure you'll find something to be of help.</p>

<p>i think people like him just want to discourage others from doing well.... fortunately, people like him are only a small portion of the board. but yeah 700+ is possible with work.</p>

<p>thats strange, man, why is your math score so low? I mean, your writing/cr scores indicate that your very smart. But a 490? Are you not that great at math or something. But, honestly, if you practice, the SAT math questions are fairly predictable. The concepts are limited.</p>

<p>I've just had awful teachers in a public school system that has screwed me. No, I'm not stupid...</p>

<p>@JMEG91 I didn't say you were stupid.</p>

<p>To be frank, I just think that I'm lacking in fundamentals. For example, you can throw me some Alegbra II questions, trig, geo, etc. and I'll ace them. On the other hand, if you want me to do simple computations such as fractions or decimals, I freak out.</p>

<p>JMEG91, if you've taken trig, do the ACT. many say it's a lot easier. You have a whole summer to prepare, and if you really want it, you have to put the work in and study daily, so that you won't forget anything come test day. Anything is doable, some things are just more difficult than others.</p>

<p>and your point is?</p>

<p>You're asking for help to go from the 41st percentile to the 99.9th. There is no way to feasibly expect that. If you're looking more around the 650 range, that's more accessible. But if you're looking for an 800 math, 490 is a baseline that puts you too far out of reach, assuming that you're an HS student who has been instructed on the preponderance of the math material on the SAT, and assuming that you did not have some catastrophically compromising experience on test day.</p>

<p>No, "someone really stupid" cannot break 700. It takes someone who is pretty good at math and who can answer the questions labeled "difficult." It doesn't mean that sub-700 scorers are stupid, it just means that you've gotta be good to break 700.</p>

<p>try your luck with ACT, because this much of a jump on the SAT is just not happening.</p>

<p>JMEG91, you should look through a textbook if you want a complete understanding. However, if time is a factor, then quickly go through a SAT review book. It's really important to do the practice questions. Also, please don't have too high expectations because 800 is really far off from a 490. Good luck!</p>

<p>I'm willing to study July-Winter for an 800.</p>

<p>I have a few pointers for you:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Please don't be offended when I say that the best advice above is to focus on 650 instead of 800. I don't mean "hope" for 650 -- of course it's OK to hope for the moon. I mean AIM for 650 -- go slower and stop spending time on the questions that are at the ends of sections. You are not getting them right anyway and you don't need them to get to 650.</p></li>
<li><p>Your reading and writing scores show that you know how to read and how to think. You need to leverage those skills on the math section. Go slower, be more playful and less formal. Learn the shortcuts and tricks from a good math review book. -- I won't recommend one because of my obvious bias :) -- but what I am saying is that if traditional algebra-based methods were going to work for you, they would already be working, so now it's time to try some other appoach.</p></li>
<li><p>Don't let the CC-centric attitude get you down. As you have seen, not everyone here is sensitive to mere mortals. I even considered starting a thread to record the best of these myopic gems. Calling someone stupid if they can't break 700 would definitely be in there as an example.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>what leads you to believe that a summer of studying will turn you into one of the math whizzes of the country? </p>

<p>look, if you say you're an otherwise fairly solid math student who didn't study or struggled with something in particular on the test, i have no reason to believe you aren't telling the truth. but it takes more than a 'fairly solid' math student to get an 800, and if you haven't developed the math fundamentals at this point, you're just not going to suddenly become amazingly good. you can't study a 310-point increase to an 800. if you could, collegeboard would be selling a pretty bad product.</p>

<p>Take pckeller's advice. Also, wasn't there that one person who went from 500 CR to 800 CR (after 50 some practice tests)? If you devote your life to the math section of the SAT, it may be possible. But first and foremost, focus on getting 650. It's easier to have many small goals that are easily achievable rather than one huge one. It will help your motivation. Again, you do have to be smart to get an 800 math SAT. The 780 writing indicates at least a modicum of intelligence, probably much more.</p>

<p>I agree that you need to set your expectations a little lower, possibly 650-700. Do all of the Math sections in the Blue Book, and all the math sections in every other book you can find. Find the Math prep books that other people recommend (such as Gruber's) and work your way through them. Only after you reach 650-700 should you reasonably expect an 800 after much more practice and diligence. (You MUST watch out for careless mistakes, that tends to account for many of a person's wrong answers.)</p>

<p>So, I should aim for 650-700? If I can consistently score within that range, should I go for the perfect score?</p>