60+ Interview, Help Needed

<p>Hello, I am a student in my senior year of high school. In my literature class, throughout the year, we have been interviewing people of the different stages of life. Currently, we are interviewing someone in the elder stage of life, who is at least sixty years old. As to avoid bias, it is best for my interviewee to be someone who I do not know; this is why I came here.
If anyone is willing to answer about twelve questions in detail, via e-mail, it would be greatly appreciated. No name or personal facts need to be revealed. Thank you for your time.</p>

<p>Maybe if you don't call over 60 the elder stage of life you'd have more willing participants :)</p>

<p>I'd love to oblige but I'm much too young for you.</p>

<p>I'm 59 and 1/4; will that do??</p>

<p>No grandparents to ask? No neighbors?</p>

<p>Sure Ahab-send me a PM.</p>

<p>VeryHappy: I could ask a neighbor or relative, but since I know them, they may change their answers. For example, I wouldn't want to ask my grandfather if he is proud of his children, he would obviously tell me what I want to hear.</p>

<p>The flesh is willing, but the spirit is weak....send the PM....I qualify.</p>

<p>Reminds me of yesterday when shopping at the GAP. The male clerk next to me was finishing up with my friend who wanted to use her AARP card for an additional discount...he didnt know what AARP was. Jokingly, I responded when you get to be our age (only 50), you will...his response, quite loudly was "Oh, is that for you old people?" A lady to my right commented.."Did he just say YOU OLD PEOPLE? He realized what he said and asked me, by name, That is your name right? I told him, I think so, but then again I may be too old to remember. My friend and I had a good chuckle and left the store.</p>

<p>Age is only a number and a state of mind.</p>

<p>Ahab, I answered you by PM. Let me know if you did not get it. Good luck. BTW: I do think your teacher needs to rethink the age categories,, if this is as old as it gets. There are folks older than I am who are lots more interesting, and you would get a great deal out of exploring their lives. Go visit a nursing home. Ask your minister to suggest someone in the community who would love to have a visitor. You might really enjoy yourself. Lorelei</p>

<p>Your teacher must be very young if 60+ is the upper limit (and no, I am not part of that group), but those over 75 lived a very different life (great depression, WWII, etc) than someone just now 60. In fact, aren't the current 60 year olds considered the first wave of Baby Boomers? You would get really different answers from someone born it '47 vs. someone born in '27.</p>

<p>My S had to interview someone over 50 once, but it could be a relative. I suggested Grandpa. He asked why not Grandma, and I told him there weren't many females over 39.</p>

<p>"elder stage of life" </p>

<p>I'd love to help out, but I got shoes that are older than you and I'd probably nod off halfway through. ;-)</p>

<p>just make a fake interview like most of your class is already doing</p>

<p>Try to find someone who is over 60 AND a shining example of why 60 isn't the "elder stage of life.. Your teacher is a little behind the times. Maybe you would impress him/her if you used some information from Civic Ventures:
Civic</a> Ventures :: Home</p>

<p>As for me, I am not quite 60 but would not want to be pigeonholed as an "elder"--not because I'm self-conscious, but because it isn't true!</p>

<p>geezermom - you have an ironic screenname. :)</p>

<p>I think the OP should post his questions here, and we can all help him come up with illuminating answers.</p>

<p>Oh dear:</p>

<p>I suppose that's my punishment for being in the generation that said that they didn't trust anyone over 30. The worm turns.</p>

<p>Check your school for one of the teaching staff- they surely don't all quit by the time they turn 60, unless teachers make a lot more than I think and can afford to retire years before social security/Medicare kick in.</p>

<p>In many parts of the country, teachers can retire at an early age and often have medical benefits for life. Many are paid 6 figure salaries.</p>