A Bad Situation With a Teacher

<p>I need some MAJOR advice about a teacher. </p>

<p>To begin, I am considered a "good student" by most of my peers and teachers; I am the quiet type who works hard. </p>

<p>However, I am afraid that one of my math teachers thinks that I am a cheater. Maybe I'm overanalysing or being paranoid but here is the situation:</p>

<p>A few days ago we had a small homework assignment. I admit to the wrongness of my actions but I found some of the old test questions online after I had worked hard on the questions, done them to the best of my ability, and then checked my answers/correct my work with the online work. The teacher found out and I was penalised by losing some points on the assignment. </p>

<p>A few days later, we needed scrap paper for a practice standardized test that would count as a test grade. Accidentally, some of the scrap paper I had in my pile of regular notebook paper was from scrap paper I had used to do a practice older test. I had noticed that some of that old scrap paper was within the pile, but (freezing up and being stupid) I did not remove the scrap paper from my pile and instead just continued on w/ my test. It was a long test and I wanted to focus on finishing it (I know it would have been simple to remove the scrap paper from the pile, but I was afriad that it may look bad and I, like I said before, froze up logically). At the end of the test, the teacher collected all the scrap paper; he saw me trying to remove scrap paper that I had used to do my old test on within a pile of papers (once again, I was hoping I could just scoot by the small situation and again, I was tired by the end of the test/wasn't thinking straight). And I told him about accidentally having some scrap paper that I had used to take an old exam within the pile; he accepted my test but was slightly dubious saying that I should have removed the additional scrap paper from the beginning. I told him that I was so focused on the test that I didn't think to/didn't get a chance to...</p>

<p>I don't know what to do about this...and for further background info, this teacher (before all of the above events had occured) had always slightly disliked me b/c I don't participate much in his class nor ask questions. Also, when I am in that class, I just freeze up in front of the teacher...he's one of those teachers that just make you nervous. Ex. whenever you ask a question, he explains the calculus in such a way that makes you feel really stupid...and I'm just intimidated. </p>

<p>Help please?</p>

<p>As a nurse, I come up against a lot of situations that make me scared, intimidate me or I just want to run. And the answer is.....face it head on. Learn it, confront it, do it. Go to the teacher and explain yourself. Sure, he's a human being and may have faults and prejudices, but at least you may feel better and will feel like you did what you can. At least, perhaps if you sit down and talk to him you may see another side of this person. Maybe you won't. Give it a try.</p>

<p>First, get yourself organized. Clean our your folders, get rid of old things, so when you are nervous, you won't have to worry about that. Next, stop making excuses. You did what you did. Nothing too outrageous, but kind of dumb. You need to relax with this teacher. </p>

<p>Do you know the work? If so, then partiicipate...if you are wrong, well, you are wrong. How does the teacher interact with the rest of the class? If a student asks a question, does the teacher make fun, or answer the question. The worst thing that can happen, is that you are a little embarrased. The best thing is that you can regain some of the teacher's respect. Watch what other kids do that the teacher likes and model yourself after them. Make it a game. When you can, participate. Sometimes it can be just once a class. </p>

<p>You need to remember, you can't change the teacher, you can only change yourself. You can learn how to work with the teacher. </p>

<p>Let go of the past. What you did wasn't horrible. It was two incidents close together that piqued his interest and fed a bit of paranoia for you...its over, its done. Move on. But, do try and see how others work with the teacher and do a little something when you can. It will help with this teacher, bosses, college professors and the like.</p>

<p>amith1: Thank you for the response. Well I am just not sure how to approach it now, since a few days have passed...I don't want the teacher to think that I feel guilty about the second instance b/c it wasn't anything to feel guilty about, only a big misunderstanding.</p>

<p>citygirlsmom: Thank you for the response. I didn't mean to seem as if I were making excuses, I was trying to provide background for the situation and as to why I was worried. Ok I will try to do what you have advised. </p>

<p>If anyone else has any other advice, I would appreciate it.</p>

<p>I wouldn't ask this guy for a college recommendation that's for sure! :) Tomorrow is a new day. Forget the past, sit up straight, pay attention, participate, do your best, and the previous incidences are no longer an issue.</p>

<p>You have to be confident. Believe in yourself, you did nothing wrong. </p>

<p>One thing I suggest, is if you are shy, to maybe visit the teacher in private and let him know. Teachers aren't evil beings, and usually go into the field for the purpose of wanting to help kids. Tell him that you are shy, and that you really are trying to participate. He'll understand. Then start raising your hand, and with that in mind, he'll be more inclined to call on you when you have your hand up, rather then just randomly call on you, thusly, making you jumpy. </p>

<p>Good luck! :) It'll work out fine.</p>