A Chance to Start Afresh = Too Much Pressure

<p>I'm going to be a freshman this fall. I've probably heard people talk about how I can be anyone I want to be and leave my old high school self behind a thousand times. I now have so many expectations for myself I am spending everyday of my summer thinking about how to become cooler.</p>

<p>(just a late night rant session)</p>

<p>That's just a cliche that has no actual meaning. Focus on your academics. Without a 3.5+ GPA, people will throw your resume in the trash, or worse, invite you in for an interview and insult you and your low GPA.</p>

<p>I worried about that too before my freshman year. Sophomore now. I wanted to become more of an outgoing, cool party kid...and I ended up becoming more nerdy in college than I was in highschool, though still much more outgoing.</p>

<p>College can change you a lot. You can't change everything about yourself in one summer, and people are pretty forgiving of freshmen.</p>

<p>Don't try to reinvent yourself. As ADSRSM said, it's impossible to change yourself in a single summer. Just be yourself. If you change yourself, you'll end up hanging out with people who aren't anything like you and in the long run, you won't be satisfied with yourself. If you want to be content with new people that you meet.... than be yourself.</p>

<p>let college change you, don't be "spending everyday of my summer thinking about how to become cooler". you'll change without any effort.</p>

<p>Just see what happens. There's no way you can predict what you'll be like by the end of your first semester of college. Don't worry about it, and just enjoy the moment.</p>

<p>Personality is still somewhat flexible at this age so people can definitely change. If you've ever seen the MTV show "Made" a number of episodes focus on someone who wants to be more popular or break out of a shell and generally they succeed. It often doesn't look like the coaches do that much, just in effect give them permission to try rather than saying "I can't do that". The makeover often helps, too; take a good luck at how you dress and groom yourself and ask yourself if that image conveys to others how you want them to see you.</p>

<p>Also if you've gone to school with more or less the same people for years then you can become typecast and people don't notice even if you change. I know one girl who was a little chubby in <em>elementary</em> school and she was always seen as a chubby girl although by HS she grew into it and was actually quite pretty. The same thing can happen with being typecast by personality.</p>

<p>Well, those people are right. You can do those things, but don't let it get to the point where you don't even know who you are anymore. Try not to obsess over it. If you're ready to change, you'll change on your own.</p>

<p>I did it. I went from being a super nerdy highschool kid who stayed home every night except for academic based extracurricular afterschool activities. Every friday and saturday night I would just be at home on my computer, etc. </p>

<p>I went to college, and now I became "that guy" who went from nerdy to not. I spend all my time with other people, I joined a fraternity, I party 3 nights a week always, take no friday classes, take the minimum number of hours each semester, etc. I never really study or read textbooks or whatnot.</p>

<p>But, it works. I keep straight A's in a highly ranked business school in a challenging program. All of my AP Credit from being so nerdy in HS (11 AP tests with 5's, 46 hours of credit claimed, making me a junior after just one semester) saves me so much time in college. I rarely have a lot of homework or projects to do because I am only taking 4 classes a semester. I will still graduate with way over the required number of credits and hours, and I would double major if the school would let me. But I always do all my assignments, always, and I never procastinate.</p>

<p>It's great. It's perfect. But it only worked because I always wanted to be that guy, I just went to such a huge highschool in such a large suburb that I never got a chance to get involved with "that crowd". In college (which is a huge state school, UT Austin, 50k students) I went right for that crowd immediately, and I got involved.</p>

<p>
[quote]
That's just a cliche that has no actual meaning. Focus on your academics. Without a 3.5+ GPA, people will throw your resume in the trash, or worse, invite you in for an interview and insult you and your low GPA.

[/quote]
This is terrible advice. Most employers barely care about GPA. Reading books and memorizing random information has little meaning for most jobs. In many majors, only the top 10% - 20% have GPA's that high - by your logic, most people wouldn't have jobs. In every job interview I've gone to, they've asked me about my job, internship, and research experience. They didn't even care about GPA. </p>

<p>The only people I've ever heard being so obsessive about GPA and college prestige are on College Confidential. No one in the real world seems to care. </p>

<p>@Shazami: Relax, you're going to Stanford. What do you think all your future classmates were like in high school?</p>

<p>I agree with Alix.</p>

<p>Plus my mom used to hire people at a small private "rich people" bank. Experience > GPA, even for people right out of college.</p>

<p>Honestly nothing is more cool than just being yourself. So starting fresh, take the advantage to be yourself not someone who you think is cool. You will feel x10 better being yourself it's so much cooler. I am also entering college this fall.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Tell that to internships with minimum GPA requirements and HR people who throw 3.1 resumes in the trash without a second thought like it's their job.</p>

<p>So you do not have to pretend anything in college, if you feel like your not outgoing enough just join more things of your interest by being more active and this will have positive results than a nightmare of waking up playing roles everyday.</p>

<p>Don't worry about it. When you go to college, you'll know very few people, but all of those people will be in the same situation - they'll know very few people as well. So just be yourself and you'll find people that share common interests.</p>

<p>Just be yourself. I was too worried about what people thought about me in high school and being myself definitely made me feel "free" in college.</p>

<p>And yes, academics comes first but building close relationships with people (friends/faculty) is definitely a close second.</p>

<p>I shall now attempt to respond to some of you:</p>

<p>Whistleblower1: I agree that academics comes first, but that wasnt the purpose of this thread. Thanks though.</p>

<p>ADSRSM: That kind of sucks man... </p>

<p>ilikeUW: I agree, but what if I want to become a better version of myself?</p>

<p>mikemac: Thanks for the encouraging advice!</p>

<p>Why Two Kay: Please, please teach me your ways!</p>

<p>Alix2012: 1/7 of Stanford students are athletes. and when I visited everyone was extremely muscular and cool. (haha) So ya I am pretty nervous.</p>

<p>pierre0913: I agree, but easier said than done</p>

<p>^you're right, definitely easier said than done</p>

<p>If you're not really into frat parties, don't go to them. If you're not into frats, don't join them. If you are, it shouldn't take a lot of deliberating or effort to join one. You have choices, and you should be making ones that are true to your personality. </p>

<p>I think Stanford is going to be different than high school in that there are so many groups represented that everyone's going to find their niche. It's cliche, but out of the thousands of people who attend Stanford, don't you think that you'll find a lot of people who are just like you? And yes, there will be parties, and maybe if you go to enough of them and make yourself more conspicuous or cool or popular, you'll have changed enough from your high school self. But if you just want close relationships with others, being cool doesn't necessarily help.</p>