A co-ed similar to Wellesley?

<p>Hello, I am a high school senior frantically trying to figure out where I want to apply. I visited Wellesley last summer and absolutely loved it, yet when I think realistically about my personality, I do not think I should attend an all women's college; while I am a feminist and love the idea of a college bound by a sense of sisterhood, I am not 100% comfortable around boys right now and I don't think going to a women's college would really help me develop socially in the realm of friendships/relationships with males. </p>

<p>So, this is what I love about Wellesley:
-obviously stellar academics
-the focus on liberal arts
-the sense of community, a liberal/accepting community
- the size (small classes that are often discussion oriented, close relationships with professors, etc)
-the location (I like the idea of a secluded gorgeous campus semi-close to a large urban city)</p>

<p>Does anyone know of any co-ed schools that have qualities like this? I know pretty much every liberal arts college in the northeast is very similar, but mainly I'm asking about similarities in regards to location and community.
I've thought of Vassar and maybe Brandies or Tufts, but I'd like to know what others think!</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Swarthmore?</p>

<p>Haverford?</p>

<p>Macalester?</p>

<p>Carlton?</p>

<p>St. Olaf</p>

<p>Carleton +1.
IMO Haverford must be looked at in conjunction with Bryn Mawr socially, and together their degree of "co-edness" might not pass muster.
Macalester is in a city, not near it.
From what I've read St. Olaf does not seem culturally very similar to wellesley.</p>

<p>FWIW my D1 actually chose Oberlin over Wellesley, those were "the last two standing" in her college selection process. But I don't think Oberlin is cuturally identical to Wellesley either, differs somewhat towards the other direction. Another thing, there are frequent buses that run between Wellesley to Boston, the viability of Oberlin to Cleveland is lower than that without a car. You'd want to look into this for all the schools, if real access to a city is an important factor to you and you won't have a car. Proximity is of limited utility without good access, and this varies considerably among suburban campuses.</p>

<p>Pomona College?</p>

<p>Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan
Hamilton, Colgate, Bates, Bowdoin, Colby</p>

<p>Post #4 notwithstanding, I'd say Haverford comes closest; it's twinned with Bryn Mawr but they're not one college and Haverford itself has a definite co-ed feel. Besides, with some 250,000 college students in the greater Philadelphia area and close ties to Swarthmore and Penn, Haverford students have lots of inter-gender social opportunities, not unlike those Wellesley students find in greater Boston.</p>

<p>Pomona, maybe, but it's a long trek from there to LA, and LA's "urban-ness" is sprawling and decentralized, quite unlike Boston's. </p>

<p>Bowdoin has a feel quite similar to Wellesley but the nearby city is Portland, ME, obviously a much smaller city but a lively and interesting one.</p>

<p>Macalester is both in a city (St. Paul) AND near one (Minneapolis), but it's in a quiet, safe, leafy, upscale residential area, not unlike Wellesley. Similar feel to Wellesley except I'd say Mac students are more politically active and the school is more globally focused. Wellesley may be a tad better academically but Mac is no slouch. Access to both downtowns (Mpls & St. Paul) is good, but it will take as long to get from Mac to either downtown as it does to get from Wellesley to Boston or Cambridge. It's a nice hybrid, though, as the commercial areas around Macalester are much livelier and more diverse--and yes, more urban--than those around Wellesley.</p>

<p>Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan, Hamilton, Colgate, Bates, and Colby are not near cities of any consequence.</p>

<p>Holy Cross, Tufts, Trinity.</p>

<p>If you'd consider a southern school, there's Davidson College. Charlotte, NC has about the same population as Boston.</p>

<p>Swarthmore is your ideal, fits your location criteria perfectly</p>

<p>^ I don't think of Swarthmore as being at all like Wellesley. Swat is more intensely intellectual, quirky, a bit dorky, and an academic pressure cooker. It takes a certain type. That type is not also likely to be attracted to Wellesley which IMO is full of smart, distinctly non-quirky, ambitious, perhaps slightly left-of-center but oh-so-mainstream young women who are going places. Mostly to med school or law school, I gather.</p>

<p>The kids we encountered at Wellesley were also quite academically pressured, FWIW.</p>

<p>I was looking at what OP said she loved about Wellesley and running it through the list of schools I knew a lot about and Swarthmore definitely matches all of those criteria.</p>

<p>You'll find the first four criteria at pretty much any good co-ed LAC, so it comes down to location. Swarthmore and Pomona, definitely. Maybe take a glance at the other 5Cs; Scripps is all-women but living within a block of four coed schools is a different feel. Carleton is an hour from the Twin Cities by bus, a bit farther but still manageable. Consider Vassar--located in a small city, but closed and very pretty campus.</p>

<p>I would say that Haverford's "co-ed-ness" is good for friendship interaction with males; dating interaction, not so much.</p>

<p>I know people who loved both Swarthmore and Wellesley. They're both Type-A, but Swat is quirkier (nerdier). Wellesley is still very liberal, though, far more liberal than "slightly left-of-center."</p>

<p>I second Keil's suggestion of Scripps, if the OP is willing to consider the West Coast. Fits all of her criteria and gives her the best of both worlds so to speak when it comes to the pluses of a women's college but plenty of opportunites to interact with men, as well.</p>

<p>chicago? as much as the admissions office might try to convince you otherwise, UC isn't on the doorstep of the loop, and i think you could say the campus is a neighborhood onto itself, with the rest of hyde park and woodlawn around it.</p>

<p>but yeah, i think many of the same qualities people have associated here with swat (intensely intellectual/doesn't turn off very often, quirky, dorky) absolutely apply to UC as well. i don't view the school itself as a cutthroat academic environment at all, though - it's the nature of the work you're being asked to do and the questions the place is intended to make you ask and ask yourself that piles on the stress.</p>