A dose of scripture with breakfast - literally?

This morning, I opened a carton of eggs (not my usual brand), inside the lid was a line from Psalms ‘This is the day which the Lord hast made. Let us rejoice and be glad of it’ Psalms 1:18:24

I’ve NEVER seen this before, have you? I just found it really odd and unexpected!

Companies with hidden bible verses in products:

https://insider.pureflix.com/lifestyle/4-companies-that-have-hidden-bible-verses-on-their-products

Thanks, @saillakeerie The only one I have ever purchased, of the products in the link, are the eggs, and as I said, I’d never purchased them before (the came with my local grocery order). I’m very surprised!

If opposed to religion, then view it as philosophy.

If still uncomfortable, then buy a different brand of eggs.

File a lawsuit. They should come with a trigger warning.

Eggsactly. :wink:

I’m assuming that was tongue in cheek…
Or, considering we’re talking about eggs, taken with a grain of salt. And maybe some salsa and bacon (turkey or pork)

Was the verse printed on the inside of the box, or was it slipped in by another shopper?

Could be considered product tampering if it was the latter.

Our grocery store has eggs with Bible verses inside the carton lid too.

If they are printed by the company, are there cartons with verses from the Torah, Koran, etc as well?

Freedom of religion means freedom of all religions, not just freedom of “my” religion.
(Though ironically, that’s exactly what the Pilgrims believed).

If it’s a private company there’s no reason they need to include all (or any) religions. That’s their freedom.

Musing about this more sitting on my balcony, I can’t fathom letting any similar phrases bother me whether they were my religion or not. I believe companies can do what they please whether it’s a fortune cookie or some sort of statement on their product.

I’d only differ if I saw something racist or sexist. I don’t see this particular verse as either.

I’ve never worried what religion (or none) the businesses/owners I frequent are. I don’t make judgments at school with students or teachers either. It seems odd to me to want to do so. Live and let live.

I don’t worry about others’ religion either but don’t put it in my face. When and where I grew up, one’s religion was their personal business and not something to be forced onto others.

I’ll buy my eggs (and other products) without proselytization.

I don’t care what’s printed on the egg carton, or whether anything is. Also I don’t care what’s printed on the underside of the bottle cap.

This verse is an encouraging and uplifting sentiment. In these trying times, I think most would not mind reading this.
But of course, if anyone does, there are lots of other companies to purchase eggs from.

Seems clear that the intent behind the message was to be positive, encouraging, & thankful.

I’ll take that in any language or in any form.

An interesting variation would be if the quote was from a politician favoring or opposing a controversial issue.

Re: comment #15. Yes, probably meant to be positive, encouraging and thankful.

But could they have created other text - without reference to religion - and still made a positive, encouraging, thankful statement?

I say yes. But the intent (and I’m not dissing it) was to put a religious reference. Placed inside the carton could be purposeful for a 'surprise" - or would they have considered putting it on the outside? Or would/could that have been a deterrent?

Religion could be considered a controversial issue.

If upset as a consumer, then maybe the store will refund your purchase price or allow you to exchange for another brand.

In my view, if the carton producer & egg supplier want to say “Have a good day” to me, I’ll respect their right to do so & I will deal with it. But, I don’t have to. Consumers have a choice.

Certainly there are issues which I would prefer not appear on my egg carton, but wishing me well & throwing compliments my way are not among those issues. As I wrote earlier, if you want to wish me well and encourage me to be positive & appreciative, I can take it !

P.S. Yes, I do understand & respect your position @abasket, but I also respect freedom of speech whether I agree or disagree. Moreover, I am not offended by the packaging of the positive message in a biblical quotation.

Also @abasket, I think you raise a clever issue: What if the message had been printed on the outside of the carton instead of on the inside ?

I still compare it to school. I don’t judge kids by the clothes they wear (or don’t) whether I agree with the t-shirt, bracelet, artwork or not (assuming it isn’t racist or sexist). It never occurred to me I should. I like it that way. I don’t ever want to just associate with those in “my” bubble. Diversity is terrific - even open diversity - esp when we prove we can all get along just fine with it.

If I eat Chinese and it comes with a Chinese fortune - fine. If I eat Middle Eastern and it comes with a blessing, fine. If I eat eggs and they come with a Bible verse (OT, so either Jewish or Christian), fine. If I eat Dove chocolates and they come with a sappy (dumb) saying on the inside of the wrapper, fine. It really would never occur to me to push any of those out of my circle over it. In none of those cases am I getting the feeling I’m supposed to “convert.”