A little literary brain teaser

<p>So a number of years ago I decided I had a little time for leisure reading and wanted to read some of the classics I had been neglecting in favor of the likes of "Differential Geometry" and "Classical Electrodynamics". I was kind of overwhelmed as to where to begin so I found some online "recommended reading" lists and compiled a bit of a database. Since then I have added other lists and the database now incorporates 4 separate lists and over 800 books of many genres (fiction, poetry, essays, philosophy, science, etc.). </p>

<p>Having recently eliminated the overlaps between lists I was interested to discover that only ONE book appears on all 4 of the lists. Without my giving it away by saying what lists they are, anyone care to speculate on which book that would be?</p>

<p>Great Gatsby?</p>

<p>I'm guessing it is some classic sci fi novel...Dune? Or perhaps Lord of the Rings?</p>

<p>Beowulf? 10 char</p>

<p>following my same theme, I would add either 1984 or Brave New World...</p>

<p>A Farewell to Arms?</p>

<p>I don't know what it is, but it should be "To Kill a Mockingbird"</p>

<p>The Bible? Or something from one of the ancient Greek philosophers?</p>

<p>I can take a guess but I try & not discuss religion under the guise of literature.</p>

<p>I don't know what kind of book lists you guys look at, but most of them don't include the bible. In fact, a lot of them are like this one: </p>

<p>great</a> books - book search, top 100 books, 101 great books for college bound students, which we might expect sylvan to have included as the parent of teenagers ;). </p>

<p>It seems to me that most of the lists are selections of fiction, so we can probably rule out any non-fiction, philosophy, science, or religious works from making all 4 of the lists.</p>

<p>the Bible :)</p>

<p><strong><em>Harry Potter!</em></strong></p>

<p>LOL</p>

<p>10 characters</p>

<p>War and Peace? Pride and Prejudice? House of Mirth?</p>

<p>(This is fun.)</p>

<p>I have read (someplace) the most popular book after the Bible is Gone With The Wind. :(</p>

<p>edit: for English speakers/readers</p>

<p>1984? 10 char</p>

<p>Catcher in the Rye? </p>

<p>The Scarlet Letter?</p>

<p>The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?
IDK...</p>

<p>Sent from my X500 using CC</p>

<p>Great Expectations?</p>

<p>Huckleberry Finn?</p>

<p>The Sound and the Fury?</p>

<p>The Grapes of Wrath?</p>

<p>A Midsummer Night's Dream?</p>