A school for a nerdy kid !

<p>Hello dear parents from the Parents forum !</p>

<p>I am candidate to transfer for Fall 2012. I currently attend a LAC in New England and one of my main reason to transfer is the complete lack of people of my kind (i.e:nerds)</p>

<p>As surprising as it may be, I am an international, have no financial aid need and a decent GPA for a math major. As a result, my counselors simply told me to apply to everywhere I want. I admit I didn't expect that when I first talked about it with them.</p>

<p>As a result, I am currently considering transferring to the following schools:
-University of Michigan (Application submitted)
-Carnegie Mellon University
-Harvey Mudd College</p>

<p>I guess they all should fit my needs and offer the specific major I want to do, mathematical biology. However, I also want to look at schools offering applied mathematics major but I am still working on my list.</p>

<p>Any insights will be more than welcome.</p>

<p>Virginia Tech has a quite good bioinformatics program (is that more or less the same thing?).</p>

<p>^ ^</p>

<p>If VTech is using infomatics like European Universities do, then no. That's much more related to computer science/IS.</p>

<p>As for advice on other schools....if you're interested in Applied Math as a major and Financial Aid is not a concern, you should definitely look into NYU. More so if you go on for grad school.</p>

<p>USC</a> Department of Mathematics</p>

<p>USC is not "high" on the usual "nerds list" but it does have all that you are looking for, including a large population of really smart students[ only Harvard has more National Merit Finalists.] And it has a large, diverse population, including one of the largest International student populations of any U in the country. In addition, USC accepts 1000 transfer students/ year, so your chances of acceptance would be very good. </p>

<p>Harvey Mudd and Carnegie are also excellent choices.</p>

<p>Add U. of Chicago to your list, too. It's great for math.</p>

<p>UC Berkeley?</p>

<p>Define "nerdy." I know that you mean intelligent, but how important is socializing to you? What do you like to do when you're not studying? Or are you someone who studies all the time? Do you belong to any groups? Are you looking to find other people who are into whatever it is you're into?</p>

<p>I ask these questions because if you give more specifics, I think it will help people with suggesting more schools for you.</p>

<p>^Yeah, he should give more details about what he likes. Did the liberal arts environment appeal to him? If so, Harvey Mudd is probably not the best choice.</p>

<p>And if I would limit myself to colleges with a major called mathematical biology. As long as they have good electives in that area, you'll be fine. I think MIT now has a major in mathematical biology, but you probably could have taken the same classes as a math major 10 years ago as that which comprise the major. Look for a good math program, and then look at what classes you can take in that area.</p>

<p>Also Wisconsin if you want the upper Midwest. Large public U's will have all kinds of students. Deadline soon or past for fall for transfers.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your insights.</p>

<p>I'd definitely consider UChicago, NYU and USC.
I might not fill their transfer requirement but I am going to look.</p>

<p>I am quite nerdy in the sense that I love sciences, video games and talk about this kind of things forever. On the other hand, the room party filled with a bunch of drunk white kid is one of the thing that bores me the most. As a result, I guess that a full science school would fit me. I also consider that a big university with huge sciences departments would be just as good.</p>

<p>About the major, it is a major in applied mathematics that emphasize modeling in biology.
A school with a good choice of math classes would be a good opportunity as well but I'll have to look more deeply into that. For example, I looked at Stanford mathematics courses and they had very appealing classes in pure mathematics but not so much in modeling.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Note, however, that the intersection of the following two sets of students:</p>

<ul>
<li>Really sharp math and science majors</li>
<li>Students who like to get drunk at parties</li>
</ul>

<p>is likely to be non-empty.</p>

<p>You are right. I guess it is just the LAC that isn't a good fit for me rather than the students around me.</p>

<p>I checked your posts. </p>

<p>I'd suggest smaller, tech oriented schools. Check out Rose-Hulman</a> Institute of Technology ; </p>

<p>Worcester</a> Polytechnic Institute (WPI)</p>

<p>and Rensselaer</a> Polytechnic Institute (RPI) :: Architecture, Business, Engineering, IT, Humanities, Science</p>

<p>Thanks jonri. I must admit that I feel like I'd rather like to go to a big school now.
I checked Rose Hulman, it sounds very interesting.</p>

<p>Harvey Mudd is a great school (but it is VERY academically intense). Per their website, your coursework would need to have good overlap with their core curriculum.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>At small schools, fit is very important. While most students at a large school can find a reasonably size subset of other student that they can associate with, the chances are lower at a small school. Small schools may also be more limited academically in some subjects, since they may not have the resources to be broad and deep in as many subjects as big schools.</p>

<p>But a small school which is a good fit (academically and non-academically) can be very good for some students.</p>

<p>If you are highly advanced in math, you may want to favor schools with good graduate programs in math, since you may want to take graduate level courses as an undergraduate.</p>

<p>When I saw your title, I thought of Swarthmore. Read more here: <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/other-college-majors/836889-good-colleges-math-applied-math.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/other-college-majors/836889-good-colleges-math-applied-math.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>However, it's not really into applied math.</p>

<p>I have filled HMC core requirement in mathematics, physic, biology and chemistry.
I guess that I could fit at HMC since they are academically intense and oriented toward the sciences. They also offer a major in mathematical biology and they have a bunch of great classes in modeling.</p>

<p>I just checked the website of princeton, harvard, rice and john hopkins. As a matter of facts, I didn't see any classes that interested me that much. On the other hand, I got very excited by classes at both University of Michigan and HMC.</p>

<p>HMC is part of the Claremont College consortium of 5 LAC located in the small , lovely town of Claremont in LA. You can cross register at any of the other 4 colleges there- Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Pitzer and Scripps- for classes that HMC doesn't offer. So you'll have the advantage of being in a mid sized LAC community of 5000 UG students, and at the same time, having the specialized courses and focus on STEM classes that HMC offers. </p>

<p>the only benefit of going to a University would be to have the option to take graduate level classes, and to do more advanced research with profs and graduate students there. Plus Universities may offer the possibility of more funding, because of greater access to funding for research, than a LAC usually is able to offer.</p>

<p>With all due respect, if your idea of a state flagship school is "drunken white kids partying" you may want to adjust your settings, expectations, and even - pardon me for saying - rhetoric.</p>

<p>You'll find drunken kids of any denomination just about anywhere, and you'll also find that the US has some pretty diverse areas and some not so pretty diverse areas....</p>

<p>Basically, it boils down to this. Large schools, more diversity, more parties, etc (U of M is too expensive to be a bona fide party school but they manage :-)). Small schools in the middle of nowhere, less diversity, less to do, more reason to party... And so on.</p>

<p>Luckily, I came from a culture of European "drunken white kids" so by the time I hit the US shore I was more or less sober :-)</p>