Hello All,
This is my first post in CC, so a please and thank-you to all replies!
Starting off, I am going to be a senior this year, and am interested in a political future, with the possibility of majoring in PolySci with the possibility of majoring/minoring in Economics as well, depending on where I go. I am from Wisconsin, and am considering moving back to Madison (after undergrad) for Grad School at UW Madison. With that said, here are my creds:
GPA: 3.9 (4.3 Weighted)
ACT: 33 (34 SS)
Rank: 3/157
Notable Courses:
AP US Hist
AP Bio
AP Calc AB (Soph)
AP Calc BC (Jun)
AP Psychology
BYU College Physics
Senior Year:
AP Lit & Comp
AP Econ
AP Govt
AP Stats
+3 other college credit Engineering courses
Extracurriculars:
-Student Senate (elected to 4 years, will run for Pres. this year)
-NHS (Jun & Sen)
-Link Crew (year round freshman orientation) (1 year)
-Math Club (1 year)
-Model UN (1 year)
-Cross Country (4 years, including all conference most likely 3 years, and ind. state 16th place finish. I am considering -running in college depending on where I end up; figured it was worth mentioning)
-Captain junior & senior year
-Golf (3 years)
-Captain junior year
-Track & Field (plan to do this year)
-Help with Junior Golf lessons (2 years)
**This summer and through the election, I have been working as an intern in the campaign for a candidate running for State Assembly in my district, where I’ve been able to work intimately with the candidate and in the campaign, along with volunteering for the Democratic Party in my county. This has been a great experience so far, and I will most likely discuss this on my Common App and general applications.
Preferences:
2,000-10,000 undergrads, although I wouldn’t rule out a schools on either side of that spectrum if they are good options
No preference on region other than that school in DC does seem very appealing
I’m not religious at all, so a strong religious affiliation troubles me a bit (I’m really talking about Georgetown here, maybe you guys have some valuable information)
A strong Political Science program would be great. A strong Econ program would be a bonus.
I don’t love the idea of being in a city in the middle of nowhere. Schools that come to mind like this are Williams, where it seems the college is the only existence (for those who have been to Williamstown :). Urban cities would be great, but not a must-have.
I do like the idea of going to a Liberal Arts, as that would make it far easier to double major, but that is definitely not a deal-breaker.
I’ve done a lot of online research, and haven’t found great information for future politicians outside the obvious Harvard/Yale schools, which I have little to no chance at getting into. All feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!