A sentence completion question

<p>Ignoring the growing accusations of ------- , Governor Anderson appointed yet another of his personal friends to a well-compensated government position.
A. propriety
B. indolence
C. cronyism
D. sensationalism
E. nepotism</p>

<p>I can't seem to find the difference between C and E. Never before have I encountered two choices on any type of question on the SAT, both of which are so compellingly accurate.</p>

<p>Any sugesstions would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>C is the better choice. Nepotism is favoritism granted to "relatives" regardless of merit. Since he's hiring a friend, nepotism doesn't apply.</p>

<p>I thought the same thing as you, highflyer.</p>

<p>The dictionary definitions I got for both were really similar. I never got the distinction for families that your dictionary has for nepotism, Classof2013Dad.</p>

<p>Cronyism: "The appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications."</p>

<p>Nepotismr: "The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, esp. by giving them jobs."</p>

<p>Couldn't they both be used?</p>

<p>Since the question says "well-compensated government position" and the definition of cronyism as given by Opaline is "The appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority" cronyism would be a better choice.</p>

<p>Also, I think that Cronyism means favoring friends more while Nepotism means favoring family members.</p>

<p>Hey Opaline, I think I have got the answer.</p>

<p>I think you, like me, got your definitions by googling 'nepotism definition' or 'cronyism definition'. That returns the definitions you just posted.</p>

<p>Actually, you have to look into a trusted authority on the matter, like Oxford's Advanced Learner's Dictionary. According to them,</p>

<p>cronyism: 'the situation in which people in power give jobs to their friends'</p>

<p>nepotism: 'giving unfair advantages to your own family if you are in a position of power, especially by giving them jobs'.</p>

<p>That solves the problem.</p>

<p>There are two two things to be learned from here:</p>

<ol>
<li>We need to use a widely trusted source to look up words.</li>
<li>The last few sentence completion questions on each of the critical reading sections sometimes have two answer choices, one of which is the correct one, which differ in meaning by only a shade.</li>
</ol>

<p>Comments?</p>

<p>like most persons, when I read the question without looking at the given answer choices, my mind came up with nepotism.</p>

<p>However, looking through the answers I saw nepotism and cronyism. I wanted to select nepotism because that's the one I came up with but then you have to consider the fact that CB highlighted the friendship, "personal friends" and from my life I know a crony as a very close friend so Cronyism would be the best choice.</p>

<p>this was my logic.</p>

<p>I found the definition from the google search surprising. Perhaps in spoken language "nepotism" has taken on a braoder meaning.</p>

<p>In any case: </p>

<p>nepotism is from the Latin word nepos, nepotis (m. "nephew")</p>

<p>Because of the ambiguity I tend to doubt that this is from an official SAT. Is it? If it isn't I wouldn't draw any deep conclusion about making special efforts to identify sources for definitions.</p>

<p>@fogcity this is today's SAT Queston of the day.</p>

<p>remember the instructions ask for the best answer. Although some definitions of nepotism includes friends, the definition of cronyism is solely referring friends so that would be the best answer. </p>

<p>I have never seen nepotism used to refer to friends anyway, so that should would also be factor.</p>

<p>@highflyer8</p>

<p>The Oxford Dictionary (online version) gives this definition: "the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."</p>

<p>definition</a> of nepotism from Oxford Dictionaries Online</p>

<p>I would assume that would be a credibly source as well, since the website is maintained by Oxford University Press.</p>

<p>Personally, I think this is just isn't a well thought out question. Some sources say nepotism only refers to kin, while others say the definition of nepotism is more broad. </p>

<p>I would agree with you that cronyism is the BETTER choice though, if only because the exact definition of nepotism is disputed. But this definitely isn't a good question.</p>

<p>It's too much to expect that test takers "know" that the meaning of a word leans more one way (kin in this case) than to another (friends).</p>

<p>Out of curiosity I looked at the french definition of nepotisme (since this is the likely origin of the English word), and sure enough, even there, the definition includes "members of the extended clan" and "close associates" in addition to family. I easily found news articles where the word is used in the extended sense. Going further back to the Italian/Latin, where the word first arose, the meaning was restricted to "nephews". Definitions change with time!</p>

<p>So this is an unfortunately poor choice for a SAT question. Hopefully someone from CB occasionally browses this forum and questions such as this won't appear on actual future tests.</p>

<p>Some of the questions-of-the-day seem shaky to me. I wonder how they come up with them. I suspect that they don't get the same careful review that an actual test item gets. (I imagine that writing these is an assignment they give to the new guy.)</p>

<p>On a related note, there are also some blue book questions that give me the same doubts. That's why the gold standard of realistic prep is set by the first three tests -- we know they have been used as real tests so in terms of realistic prep, they are unquestionably the best. At the same level there are those two or three released pdfs and then you have whatever QAS tests that fall your way. Then you have whatever old PSATs you can find.</p>

<p>After that, you really are taking a small step down in realism with blue book tests 4 - 10. Not terrible but really not perfect, though certainly the next best thing to real. (Side note: if they released a new blue book with all 10 released tests, how much would you pay for it? )</p>

<p>I am not sure where the on-line course fits in. I believe that some are real, formerly used tests, but not all. Not sure which is which...</p>

<p>After all of these, your choices are not as good. I would go to old-school SATs (books like "10 real SATs") if I were desperate for more tests.</p>

<p>AND THEN I WOULD STOP!</p>

<p>I would use non college board tests for mulch. Maybe rolled up tight as kindling.</p>