A strange question for the Bama forum but here goes...

<p>I've been reading this forum for months and posted many things about my visit to Alabama and have gotten great info from everyone. Now I'm looking for help on a different topic, Sweden. I figured this is the best place to come since you all are so helpful with everything else. I did ask for help in the parent forum and study abroad but got little response.</p>

<p>My daughter is headed to Sweden(Gothehberg) to study abroad in a few weeks for a whole school year. Does anyone have any tips on what type of clothing they wear over there and how the winter is? Cold, rainy, snowy etc.. I had so much fun reading the thread on what to wear at Alabama I couldn't help myself about asking on what to wear in Sweden. I'm hoping I have some international travelers on here who can put their two cents in. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. As I read on here about everyone packing and moving into the dorms, I cannot help but think how the heck we are going to get her stuff to Sweden with a reasonable amount of luggage. And yes, she is type who took 10 pair of heels with her to college this past year! She is a junior from a school in DC so she really enjoys the nightlife.</p>

<p>As an aside, all the info here is so helpful. I visited Alabama with my son during spring break. He loved it and has applied. Just waiting to finish the scholarship apps. Good luck to everyone moving in these coming weeks. I hope it is me with my son next year. Keep the stories and tips coming. Thanks.</p>

<p>What to wear</p>

<p>During the summer the weather in Sweden is mild and pleasant. Pack casual summer clothes, like a few medium-weight sweaters, a light jacket or raincoat. </p>

<p>An overcoat is necessary in the autumn, winter and spring.</p>

<p>Comfortable, low-heeled shoes are important, not only for the countryside, but also for sightseeing along cobblestone streets.</p>

<p>Swedes like fashion. However, they avoid standing out in glitzy attire and will never abandon their jeans for too long.</p>

<p>In the restaurants and for business, a jacket and tie are expected for gentlemen. Trousers are acceptable for women on any occasion, including business. </p>

<p>What To Wear In Sweden
To sum it up - Fashionable but low key & practical</p>

<p>The Swedish people (women and men) are fashionable and effortlessly stylish. Avoid wearing loud and glitzy clothes in favour of smart casual dress in muted or dark colours. Natural fabrics: cotton, wool and linen are more popular in Sweden than synthetic textiles.</p>

<p>Jeans are always popular and, teamed with lighter layers in the summer or warmer layers in the winter, are a flexible choice. Whatever time of year you visit be prepared for rain. Pack a lightweight raincoat for summer and a more substantial coat for winter.</p>

<p>In the restaurants and for business, a jacket and tie are expected for men. For women on business, trouser suits are acceptable.
Seasonal packing</p>

<p>During the summer the weather in Sweden is mild and pleasant. However, a coat is definitely necessary in the autumn, winter and spring.</p>

<p>Winter can be absolutely freezing, so our advice would be to pack warm layers, a coat, gloves, hat and scarf and to keep your feet warm pack boots with a water resistant sole and cozy fur lining too, if possible.</p>

<p>Visit Weather</a> Online UK - current weather and weather forecast worldwide to check on the likely weather conditions for your trip.</p>

<p>Hokiefan, you have come to the right place!</p>

<p>My family took a trip to Seattle earlier this summer.</p>

<p>Seatide was a wealth of information, but I even had emails from some of my other CC friends who have been there, had family in the area, that helped me out with hotels, sites.</p>

<p>I would also suggest you post on Parents Cafe for info. I got great travel info there. In fact, I think Seatide responded to me on that site!</p>

<p>Montegut,</p>

<p>You are so sweet to suggest SeaTide as a source. But I was looking for information to Sweden not Seattle. I did post on the parent site but not too much action over there.</p>

<p>Mom, </p>

<p>I did find generic information on the internet. I guess I was looking for some personnal tales so I can get a good read on the clothing situation. My daughter just wants to look likes she fits in over there and not freeze to death! Thanks.</p>

<p>^^
I mentioned the topic to my father, who spent a year or two in Sweden in the 80s, and he gave similar advice. Above all, be prepared for lots of rain- as he said, rain can be similar in frequency to Seattle.</p>

<p>From what I've heard, Scandinavian weather is very familiar to Seattle weather which made it easy for large numbers of Scandinavians to move to Seattle 100+ years ago. I've read quite a bit about travelling to Sweden and the clothing info given by the other posters is very accurate.</p>

<p>Oh, yes, I know you were talking Sweden, not Seattle. I just thought it funny that my Alabama CC friend showed up on the Parents Cafe to give me Seattle advice.</p>

<p>Keep checking the parents cafe, you might get a bite.</p>

<p>There are a lot of well traveled people over there.</p>