Academic rigor?

<p>How difficult are the classes here in general? Like GE courses, and maybe the classes for Econ/Managerial Econ majors? How many hours do they have to put in per week to study? Is there much time for a social life?</p>

<p>GE courses can be easy or hard. It really depends on the professor. find out who is teaching the class you want to take, and look it up on ratemyprofessor. if there are a lot of ratings you can get a good idea of how hard they are.</p>

<p>There are literally thousands of faculty members at UC Davis. No-one here can give you an objective answer for how many hours of study time you will need to devote in general. The official line is 2 hours out-of-class work for every 1 unit taken, but there is a huge variance between students, between subjects, and between professors.</p>

<p>That being said, yes, there is plenty of time for a social life IF you don't take too many units and IF you live in Davis or on campus. Commuting or taking too many units will make socialization a lot harder. Lots of club activities take place on campus in the evenings.</p>

<p>My experience so far has been mixed. I have one excellent lecturer, one okay lecturer whose homework sets are way too hard and solution sets often contain errors, and one PhD student who's smart but not a particularly good teacher. As far as difficulty, I feel like I have one easy class, one somewhat challenging class, and one very difficult class. As far as content, I am underwhelmed. My easy class is actually the one that is covering the most content and, IMO, doing the best job of it. The hard class is not covering as much material as it could be, because everyone is having a rough time with how needlessly difficult the problems are. The class in the middle is poorly organized and taught by a PhD student who doesn't really seem to know what she's doing a lot of the time.</p>

<p>It's important to note that an academically rigorous class is not necessarily a very difficult class, and vice versa. My easy class is the most academically rigorous of the three.</p>

<p>i'm an econ major. a lot has been said about GEs and it always depends on the professor(always always look them up when picking classes) so i'll just talk about the ECN classes i've had. i'm only a third year right now though so i haven't taken many upper div classes and i haven't really been challenged yet in terms of rigor, but i have in terms of workload.
ECN 1a/1b are kind of a joke... i took AP econ in high school though. same ****
ECN 101 (intermediate macro) was a little tricky because the lecturer just spoke, there were no written notes of any kind except for a few formulas on chalkboards and such. mainly just speaking to a class and it was kinda hard to follow at points... the guy(Frenkel) has a TON of experience (worked for B of A for like 40 years) and has interesting stories to tell. i didn't agree with his teaching style though, and i don't really like macro very much at all, it can be vague.
ECN 100 (intermediate micro) is supposedly one of those classes that you can use to gauge how well you would do in grad school. sort of a "weeder" course but not really. it was a LOT of Aplia, like i would spend hours per assignment by week 5 and we had 2 a week. if you put in the time you could get it though, it's a lot of grinding through problem sets. i got over 100% raw in the class haha. probably ****ed up the curve
I took an econ history class spring quarter and i'm in one now, and they're easy. if you're good at memorization and like history it's a breeze. the lecturers are generally good as well, especially prof. wilson. her class is probably my favorite ECN class so far. i set the curve on the first mt. lol
i'm also in international macro right now and it's really really dry but the professor is good, so i'm doing well. it all depends on what you need to succeed in a course. i know some people can do it all from the book and ace it, but personally i prefer to rely on lecture.
this was really long winded. i shouldn't go on here when i'm high</p>