<p>So the good news is that I was accepted out of state. The bad news is that I have to be there sometime in June and have a house to sell. *** was I thinking? I don’t know how I am going to graduate in May, sell the house sometime in between, and then get married in July. </p>
<p>Has anyone else experienced this degree of complexity while moving? Any story (success or failure) is appreciated. Especially how you or someone you know managed to transition and relocate smoothly.</p>
<p>My experience seemed hectic but worked out. I moved across the country for graduate school on a shoestring budget with a full complement of furniture and two careers to worry about. I had to work until the day of the move and so I was packing the morning of the move and ended up leaving some of my belongings in the old apartment.</p>
<p>My wife and drove to our new home without the apartment yet ready to go and without a job for her. Along the way, we gave up and took a bit of a vacation to allow things to work themselves out. We stayed a couple of days in Nashville, saw the sights, ate out, played in the pool at the hotel and such. During this time, the landlord for the apartment in Durham called letting us know the apartment would be ready and my wife got two job offers along the way.</p>
<p>I guess that my experiences say that stressing out over things I couldn’t change wasn’t helpful and if I had just been optimistic that things would work out, I could have saved myself some mental anguish.</p>
<p>Good luck on selling your home, getting married, starting grad school and whatever else you do.</p>
<p>Probably the most important part of making this go smoothly is to get your house on the market ASAP. It’ll be difficult, because you have to keep it looking pristine and beautiful 24/7, but you have the best shot at selling it if you get it listed by early spring. If the best happens and it sells right away you can usually negotiate a longer than normal closing or lease back the house from the new buyers until it’s time for you to move. Even if the new buyers need to take possession right away, it won’t be the end of the world if you stick your stuff in storage for a few weeks and find something temporary for yourself.</p>
<p>This is not really helpful but also a comment on doing what you have to do.</p>
<p>My sister has a tendency to deal with problems. Between med school graduation and her residency, she jammed in her wedding so the diploma would have her new name, flew back to med school for the graduation, and then headed off on the honeymoon. Later, after completing her residency, she and her husband would have barely a week to fit in their transition from Chicago to Seattle. In addition to the usual packing, my sister had herself induced so she could deliver her first child and not be driving to Seattle 9 months pregnant and wondering when labor might begin. It all worked out and I am confident yours will as well.</p>