Accepted to an Ivy, but.....

<p>I received a likely letter to Dartmouth a week ago, so I'm assuming there's a possibility I'll get accepted to one of the other Ivies I applied to.</p>

<p>However, I applied for a major in Environmental Engineering, so I know that the Ivies aren't generally strong in the subject. </p>

<p>But, considering that I'm not totally sure about my major and, even if I decided to stay in it, I would want more of a business/consulting type job rather than engineering.....Would i get equal opportunities by going to an Ivy for engineeering?</p>

<p>oh, and financial aid should cover the costs based on my family's income.</p>

<p>I think Dartmouth is the school for business/consulting type of job. You should be fine if that is what you want to do eventually. BTW, I have no clue as to what Environmental Engineering does? What do Environmental Engineers do?</p>

<p>Well, I'm assuming environmental engineers 'engineer' ways to help the environment, since theyre a subset of civil engineers. But thanks!, that eases my mind to know I won't be hurt by going there.</p>

<p>I suggest you wait to see where you get accepted before you worry about this. There's nothing to decide now.</p>

<p>yeah, I know. But Ive already been accepted to dartmouth, so I will have to decide between there and my state school [clemson] for engineering, and I thought Id go ahead and see if going to an Ivy would affect me or not.</p>

<p>For what you want, Dartmouth without a doubt, even if you didn't qualify for the aid!</p>

<p>Dartmouth is ABET-accredited in Engineering Science (its BE degree program), under which there is some elective scope for specialization in a particular branch of engineering. However, its course</a> listing appears to be rather limited in environmental engineering topics.</p>

<p>Clemson is ABET-accredited for civil</a> engineering (BS degree) under which one can do an environmental</a> emphasis or minor. It also offers an environmental</a> engineering major (BS degree) which is (oddly) not listed in the ABET accreditation lists. ABET</a> accreditation is useful if you need to get a Professional Engineer license, which is commonly needed in civil engineering where one designs infrastructure and buildings.</p>

<p>If you want to work as an environmental engineer, it is probably better to go to Clemson and major in civil engineering with an environmental emphasis or minor. But if you want to go to high end consulting or finance jobs, the Dartmouth name may help you more.</p>

<p>Of course, if you need financial aid, you will need to see the financial aid offers and net cost before deciding.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks for your help, especially UCB!! so, clemson and other techy schools are good for engineering jobs, but Dartmouth and other ivies are preferred for consulting, finance, and business positions.</p>

<p>I know i would get more internships if i went to Dartmouth, but do employers for consulting jobs specifically recruit at Dartmouth and its peer institutions more than, say, clemson?</p>

<p>Dartmouth has excellent financial aid. Not as generous as HYP, but better than most non-merit programs. Many students may stay a 5th year for the ABET accreditation, if necessary. If so, Dartmouth financial aid will cover the extra year. Dartmouth is huge for I-banking and consulting.</p>

<p>Thanks, that's one of the reasons I wanted to go to an Ivy, financial aid, and it's good to know that Dartmouth is really strong in consulting. But, I have another question:</p>

<p>This is from dartmouth's website: </p>

<p>"The College will continue its commitment to provide free tuition and a no-loans expectation for students with family incomes under $75,000 a year or less — part of a policy it instituted under which the no-loan policy was extended to all financial aid recipients regardless of income."</p>

<p>My family makes ~55,000.... So, what exactly would I have to pay for. Would they set me up with a work study? Can someone explain how financial aid works in situations like this?</p>

<p>I doubt your family would be expected to pay much at all at D. That said, if you are given a family contribution, it may not be more than what could be covered in a student loan of 5500.</p>

<p>Unless Clemson gives you a free ride, you're likely going to have at least a 5500 loan there....and likely a gap and an EFC.</p>

<p>Yeah, clemson isn't very good when it comes to financial aid. At all. At the university of south carolina, I got more scholarships than the cost of attendance, so Id probably just go there, even though it's ranked lower in engineering than Clemson. But, since I'm in at Dartmouth, hopefully I can afford to go there. And doesnt the quote above mean I would have no student loans???</p>

<p>You may have to wait until final financial aid offers are given (though you can try the schools' "net price calculators" on their web sites to get estimates). Different schools may have different ideas of what they expect your family to contribute. If the expected family contribution is greater than what your family can actually contribute, then you will need loans or work earnings to cover the gap.</p>

<p>If I understand correctly, you have not received a final financial aid offer from Dartmouth or Clemson, but you have received scholarships at USC Gamecocks that would give you a free ride and more?</p>

<p>USC Gamecocks is ABET-accredited for civil</a> engineering; the department and major includes environmental engineering as a subarea.</p>

<p>But, doesnt Dartmouth's statement of :if you have an income <75k, then there will be no parental contribution plus no loans: essentially mean that it should be free? I'm quite confused about this whole process, to be honest.</p>

<p>But yes, ucb, you are correct. USC's cost of attendance is around 21,000... and i have the palmetto fellows scholarship (7,000), National merit scholarship (10,000), and a 7,000+ scholarship from the school.... which puts me 3,000+ over the cost of attendance. (((Does this mean i would get to keep the 3,000???))) </p>

<p>Considering that i want to do consulting or something of the sort, would going to Dartmouth for a little money(?) be worth it considering I'm in at USC for free or more.?</p>

<p>
[quote]
My family makes ~55,000.... So, what exactly would I have to pay for. Would they set me up with a work study? Can someone explain how financial aid works in situations like this?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>OP, we're about at the same income level, and my son was fortunate enough to be able to compare aid from four Ivys (though not Dartmouth)last year. The aid offered was pretty close, within $2,000 of each other. And we did mention the most generous offer to a financial aid officer at one of the other schools during freshman admit days, and they matched it.</p>

<p>They all assumed about $2,000 worth of summer earnings and $3,000 worth of work study from my son, but no family contribution. They also factored in 20% of his savings. But they subtracted that from full tuition, room, board, $300 in travel and $3,000 in books and fees.</p>

<p>Hope that helps; have you asked on the Dartmouth forum?</p>

<p>thank you, Scoutsmom!! So, in work study, does that mean that the university provides you with a job so you can work the money off?? But that offer seems very generous; I hope my offer is similar.</p>

<p>Work study refers to (usually on-campus) jobs where the student's pay is subsidized by the government.</p>

<p>Federal</a> Work-Study (FWS) Program
Funding</a> Education Beyond High School: The Guide to Federal Student Aid 2010-11</p>

<p>OSHUNLIDE, I am a civil engineering student at Clemson. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all about Clemson!</p>

<p>so the work study job is guaranteed? That's a relief. And pierre, I know that Clemson is really good for engineering, but can you speak on its financial aid?</p>

<p>Here are the basic guidelines of scholarships for freshman students: <a href="http://www.clemson.edu/financial-aid/documents/rschol1213.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.clemson.edu/financial-aid/documents/rschol1213.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I take it that since you are applying to both Clemson and South Carolina that you are a South Carolina resident? If so, are you going to be receiving a LIFE or Palmetto scholarship? That may help you out furthermore with costs.</p>

<p>Other info about financial aid: <a href="http://www.clemson.edu/financial-aid/types/index.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.clemson.edu/financial-aid/types/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>