Accepted - what was your essay themes?

<p>For those that got accepted to Stanford (or for that matter rejected), mind sharing what the general themes of your essays were. </p>

<p>Given that everyone stresses the importance of essays, curious in the wide world of writing essays, what themes excite or ticks off the majority of adm. who pour over thousands of high achievers.</p>

<p>I do hope that you write your essays in better grammar than this post (I say this in a humourously playful way, not to be mean) =)</p>

<p>I didn't apply, but I could have. The point is to write about you, make it personal, and make it interesting. You want to stand out as somebody totally unique - a hot commodity - so you actually don't want to write about what everybody else is writing about.</p>

<p>Mine was about an essay competition written in the stream-of-consciousness style. It was actually pretty kick-ass. It's the only thing I've ever written that I was really, truly proud of.</p>

<p>Back in the day, I wrote about being a drum major and what it felt like to conduct the band during a competition and then get together afterwards. I described my actions, my thoughts, and my feelings. It was fun. I only wish that writing the personal statement for medical school were so easy :(</p>

<p>Well, since I got in, I will post my topics b/c it may be helpful.</p>

<p>Long essay (quote): taking risks
Roommate: trip to NYC
Intellectual: music and history
Activity: piano</p>

<p>I wrote about specific events regarding each one, but I don't want to go in detail now.</p>

<p>There's a thread on this in the Stanford 2011 forum, if you want to look it up. :)</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=276547%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=276547&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>All my essays were written in a simple narrative style. I just wanted to get the idea across, because they just want to get to know you. So for me, no flashy anythings lol..</p>

<p>Long essay: About living alone. Simple as that.
Activity: Swimming, and how the friendships I made on swimteam meant more than medals and titles.
Intellectual: My quirky ever-changing manias.
Roommate: A you-never-know-what-you-have-until-it's-gone essay about my family.</p>

<p>long- something relating math to service, tracing my own progression in life&mathematics. adapted from a speech.
activity- math. yeah. math. ****ing boring essay, imo.
intellectual- godel's incompleteness theorem. yeah....
roommate- in the style of a mcsweeneys feature, a small piece enumerating the benefits of having a pair of giant white wings. made no sense, but that was the point.</p>

<p>I started and completed all four of my Stanford essays about 3 hours before the application was due on December 15th. Looking back, I thought they were HORRIBLE. I guess not, though, because I was accepted!</p>

<p>Long - playing Pato-Pato-Ganso (Duck-Duck-Goose) with children in rural Honduras
Activity - working as a hostess at a restaurant
Intellectual - riding in a car with somebody who I have never ridden in a car with before (this one was my far my weirdest)
Roommate - my last name</p>

<p>Long essay (picture): a pair of shoes I own :) don't even ask. haha
Roommate: math & jokes ;] yes somehow I wrote about both in one short "essay"
Intellectual: cancer&my internship
Activity: piano</p>

<p>Long essay (picture) - personal encounter with a homeless person
Roommate: flying kites
Intellectual: The anomalies of the English language
Activity: playing the violin</p>

<p>I got waitlisted:
Long essay (picture)- Winning an Academy Award
Roommate: Experience at ASB Camp
Intellectual: I had just finished watching Contact lol so I wrote about the whole chance of life being out there in the universe
Activity: Being on ASB</p>

<p>Accepted</p>

<p>Long essay: about my aquarium hobby
Roommate: being a twin
Intellectual: writing about the fugue (a baroque musical form)
Activity: Piano</p>

<p>Would anybody mind pm-ing me their essay?</p>

<p>im going to discourage any and all admits from sending essays to anyone. it just removes integrity from the system. </p>

<p>i dont mean for this to sound elitist in any way, but i want to be in classes and live with people who get in on their own merit, and i would hope that other admits feel the same way. </p>

<p>i know many people just want "ideas" but it should be an essay about you telling your story to them. it should come straight from your heart and ur mind. the same concept written by 2 different people can and will have different results on the readers based on what they now about you.</p>

<p>I wrote all four essays on people being unoriginal and desperate enough to ask what other people wrote for their essays. I'm not entirely sure how I made my roommate essay about that, but whatever.</p>

<p>But seriously, for every candidate that gets accepted with a certain "theme" or "topic", there is at least one who does not.</p>

<p>I'll pm my essays to you ;)</p>

<p>iCalculus: really...</p>

<p>Look who's talking</p>