Accepting Decisions at two schools and rejecting one at a later time?

<p>My sister told me that people do this all the time. They get accepted to two schools and tell both that they are coming. Then when they finally make their decision they write a letter to the rejected school saying they can't come b/c "something has come up". Has anyone heard of this? Are people allowed to do this or is it a sure way to get rejected from both schools? What if they schools are ivy leagues?</p>

<p>this is probly the worst idea...ever. Schools, especially Ivies actually call each other up and compare lists to catch people doing this. We have an assistant guidance counselor who just left the Harvard admissions office. She told me this story about when the Princeton regional rep for her region called her up to go over the lists. The Princeton person was reading names, and she said this one girl's name, and it went like this (roughly, name and city is made up)</p>

<p>Pton: next is Katie Smith from Anytown.
Har: wait, hold on, did u just say Katie Smith
Pton: yes
Har: as in Katie Smith of The High School who lives at 123 fake st.
Pton: wow, yeah, that's her
Har: god dammit</p>

<p>Both schools then rescinded her acceptance.</p>

<p>in other words NEVER DOUBLE DEPOSIT.</p>

<p>Out of curiousity, why would they be doing this over the phone? Wouldn't it be easier just to distribute a list of acceptees to all other schools so that each school can double check on their own?</p>

<p>good point gatsby, i was just thinking the same thing. i figure people of such intelligence will know to be more efficient. however, brown does have a point. the very last thing they want in colleges are people of low/no integrity. we all heard what happened to the people at harvard business who hacked into the system. not that i'm comparing double acceptance to hacking but the journey of a million miles...</p>

<p>If it's between like, Princeton and a state school and the kicker is money, well then I think that's no big deal, P isn't going to call up and check. But don't do it with school of equal repute.</p>

<p>do u consider UPenn of equal repute? I know it's an ivy, but some people say it's not.....</p>

<p>dont do it with another ivy. upenn has a great reputation and cheating on 2 ivies...thats not good i wouldnt recommend it</p>

<p>yes, in this scenario upenn is def. of equal repute. I would say any of the ivies, plus MIT, Stanford, etc., you shouldn't double accept.</p>

<p>I would say there is really no circumstance in which it is worth double depositing. First off, you have to be kidding me if you really still can't make up your mind and second, you risk losing your spot at BOTH schools.</p>

If it's between like, Princeton and a state school and the kicker is money, well then I think that's no big deal, P isn't going to call up and check. But don't do it with school of equal repute.


If you double deposit at an Ivy and a state school, you are bipolar and need immediate medical attention. Wow. :p</p>

<p>actually i just read 2day that u are allowed to do it for financial reasons or "other" reasons as long as you tell the schools first.....i saw it on the back of the upenn response maybe it's ok for certain reasons, and not really "cheating"</p>

<p>But you'd have to make a choice between the schools anyway, so why wait?</p>

<p>i really wouldn't recommend doing that. it seems like SO many things could go wrong. so not good.</p>

<p>hey, i have a question for some of my friends. What if the other university is in the United Kingdom where they get conditional offers based on IB scores?</p>

<p>I asked a few people that question. Apparently, it's no problem, mea.</p>

<p>You accept offers from UCAS. If you meet the conditions and choose to enroll, fine. If you do not meet the conditions, then you go to America..</p>

<p>I doubt the American Universities would make a huge fuss if you choose to enrol at a UK institution.</p>