ACT Enghlish Section

<p>Hi, I am wondering how do you crack your ACT English section. I always got around 28 on this section and I hope to improve with the help of you guys.</p>

<p>A great way to crack the English section is to read articles, such as from The Economist, Time, or the newspaper. Reading helps plant the correct grammar into your brain. Also, it helps you get used to the style of those English passages.</p>

<p>Practice. The English section is the easiest to improve your score on. You'll tend to see similar patterns in terms of grammar questions, sentence structure, etc.</p>

<p>What was your raw score?</p>

<p>I got a 64/75 </p>

<p>and I heard the simplest way to grade it was to do __/75 times 36 = section score</p>

<p>For me that worked out to a 31, but with the actual scaling in the red book it was a 28-29</p>

<p>my raw score is similar with yours. thx</p>

<p>I took multiple practice tests with The Real ACT Prep Book. Before I used it, my English scores were 28, 27, 27. After I did the practice I got a 36 on English. Practice Tests are the key to increasing your scores.</p>

<p>Cong! what exact practice books you took?</p>

<p>The one that brought my score up to a 36 was The Real ACT Prep Book. It has 5 real ACT tests in it.</p>

<p>"read, buy books, lern 2 rede." Nah, just do a lot of practice. ^The Real ACT Prep book is great for seeing where you stand, but get "Barron's 36 ACT: A Guide to the Perfect Score" first and get the basics down, take their small sections to see questions that you'll be exposed to, then take more real ACT tests. </p>

<p>Credentials: 35 on October's test :)</p>

<p>Several ways:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Read A LOT. This is the most rewarding way. Try to find something difficult yet good (The Economist was a good suggestion. Salman Rushdie is good too. John Irving, George Orwell, Virginia Wolf, even Stephen King. These authors have literary merit) Pay particular attention to how they structure sentences. </p></li>
<li><p>Learn real grammar. Why should I use a semicolon over a comma? Which clause is dependent, is this object direct, indirect, or the object of a preposition? Eventually move to style. I suggest "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White, though it is not definitive, as many claim. Whom or who? Lay or lie? Special rules of subject verb agreement.</p></li>
<li><p>Get a Prep-book. Presumably this will help you. I did the first two, but because I wanted to and had plenty of time. Obviously, if your only goal is raising your score to 32 or so this is the best way to go.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I got Barron's 36 and after studying it thoroughly, my ACT English score went down a point to a 27, even though I already knew most of the grammar rules in it. With The Real ACT Prep Book I was able to see all of the mistakes I would make (which were usually moving to fast, not reading enough of the sentence, or just making dumb mistakes) and that's what brought my score up 9 points to a 36. Barron's 36 was helpful, but for me personally, practice tests were the trick.</p>

<p>Thank you guys. Hope all your suggestions could lead me a much better score.</p>