ACT Question

<p>My child took the ACT one time and did quite well. She doesn't like the SAT, and opted to let her one ACT score stand. She has, however taken SAT II's in Bio, Writing and IIc. The ACT is very popular where we live, although I think the majority of kids do take both, and many take tests multiple times. </p>

<p>In this day and age, does it look odd to have just one test and one sitting? She is the only kid I've heard of who has done it this way. She is applying within her score range, but has a couple of very selective schools on the list. Will she be at a disadvantage? Appreciate your comments!</p>

<p>If she did so well that she does not think she needs to re-take, why should she retake?</p>

<p>Is she above the 25th percentile for all the schools she's interested in? If so, there's surely no need to re-take. If not, maybe one more sitting?</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies. I guess it is mostly the lack of an SAT that looks scary to me with schools out of our region.</p>

<p>I would not worry about the lack of an SATI score if the ACT score is a good one. My daughter did the same thing yours is proposing. Like you, we live in an area of the country where the ACT predominates (the Midwest). Her ACT was very good right out of the box (although she did take it a second time, and improved by a point) so she never even took the SATI. She did take four SATIIs, as some of her schools required them in addition to (or in lieu of) the ACT. She was accepted to a number of fine schools, including several deep in "SAT territory." She is now at a highly regarded Northeastern LAC.</p>

<p>S took the SAT twice and 4 SAT II tests. Sandwiched in between SAT sitting #1 and #2 was the ACT. He wasn't happy with his SAT scores. His ACT score was comparable to the second score. He decided to try the ACT again because the ACT allows you to send one score from one test date, and he didn't want his colleges to see any SAT or SAT II scores. He did much better on the second ACT test -- 3 full points higher than the first ACT. His ED school will see only that second ACT score.
All the schools he was considering were on the East Coast, which tends to see more SAT than ACT scores.</p>

<p>Most East Coast schools accept the ACT instead of the SAT. Princeton accepts the ACT instead of the SAT only if the ACT is necessary for applying to some other colleges.</p>

<p>Right, Marite, but some schools require 3 SATIIs in addition to the ACT (Northwestern and Cornell come to mind). If a student who needs SATIIs in addition to the ACT has taken both the ACT and the SATI and has done better on the ACT, the student's less-than-stellar SATI score will still be disclosed to schools when they receive those SATII scores. So I think that a student who has done well on the ACT, especially one like Ezduzzit's daughter, who doesn't think she'll do as well on the SATI, should not take it at all.</p>

<p>Excellent point, wjb. Coupled with your D's successful experience, I'll rest a little easier! How is she enjoying her experience out east? We have not visited yet...I will be interested to see how my casual, laid back, quintessentially MW child likes the "change of scenery"!</p>

<p>Wjb:</p>

<p>I agree with you. I just don't see the need for the SAT if the student did well on the ACT. She already has 3 SAT-IIs and seems satisfied with her scores and is applying within her range. Your earlier comment about being in the top 25% range is right on the mark.</p>

<p>She’s enjoying herself, Ezduzzit. Challenging academics, small classes, attentive professors, beautiful campus. (Incredible fall foliage we saw at Parents’ Weekend! Just doesn’t compare to our Midwestern autumn.) She has made some terrific friends, all from the East Coast. (Her school is under 10% Midwesterners.) We detect a bit of an Eastern accent creeping into her distinctive Midwestern twang, for which she is teased (in fun only). Collectively, her group of friends is still trying to navigate the broader social scene, something that’s probably pretty common at schools across the country that are attended by kids from all over the place (as opposed to state schools, like ours, where kids from the same community go in large groups.)</p>