Actuarial Mathematics - Keeping old books?

<p>I am planning on majoring in actuarial mathematics. Do you think I should keep my old Calc I and Calc II book from UMich to study from once the exams come around? Or would it be okay if I sold them and just used review manuals when the time comes. Would love to hear from people in the concentration. Thanks!</p>

<p>I'm not an acturial math major, nor have I taken any of the exams, but I've taken a few of the courses those kids take. If calc hasn't been drilled by into your head through all the classes you've taken by the time the exams come around, you're in trouble. Then again, I could be wrong.</p>

<p>Here's what I do:</p>

<p>When you're done taking your classes, and you think you'll need to have that textbook as a reference, sell the book on half.com/amazon/etc. Then you can buy the last edition of the book for a fraction of the cost.</p>

<p>For example, say I have a fourth edition of some probability/stats book that I'm probably going to want to reference of the next couple of years. I go and sell the fourth edition on half.com, and then buy the third edition of the textbook through the same site.</p>

<p>Here's the book that I was talking about (book I used in class), that I sold after the class was over: Probability</a> and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences, Books : Half.com</p>

<p>And here's the book that I bought for reference, one edition older: Probability</a> and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences, Books : Half.com</p>

<p>It works pretty well. And calc I & II textbooks all have the same content (for the most part). The only difference between books from 50 years ago and today are the pretty figures.</p>