Adult wanting to go to college and fence

<p>Hello, I have a few questions about my chances and options of collegiate fencing and attending a university. There are so many questions I have regarding this scenario, but first I will tell you about myself. To start off I am 21 years of age. I have a huge passion for fencing and have always wanted to fence in NCAA. When I was younger I also had a huge passion for firefighting and EMS work. I did a lot of extra curricular activities in high school. Some examples of those were Starting a fencing club at my high school, A fire explorer with the USFS, Volunteering at a local NPO, as well as holding down a full time job. I supported myself in high school and often found myself living at friends houses or my grand parents. My parents went through a hard divorce that tore our family apart. Anyways enough about that sappy stuff this brings me to the next part of my story.</p>

<p>While in high school I made the decision to not pursue a university. A lot of it was based on the fact it would be extremely hard to afford financially and it was not well suited for my career path. I went to my local community college and did a few fire technology classes and got certified as a nationally registered emergency medical technician.(A glorified word for EMT ;)). I shortly after got accepted to the USFS explorer wild land fire academy. I went through with it and graduated. Fast forward a little bit I started with my career and came to the conclusion it was not for me. While doing firefighting I was unable to keep up with my fencing because it was so demanding. I have left that work field and now in turn stuck working as a Server because its one of the few jobs sadly now days you can work and hope to attend school with and support your self. I have actively started re pursuing fencing and really am trying to get back to where I was. I was a A rated fencer and due to inactivity I dropped to a B. I also love reading books and teaching myself stuff. Knowing that I am trying to go back to school I have been preparing myself academically. </p>

<p>Knowing this huge tome of information about me. Do I stand any chance on getting into a university? Do I stand any chance of fencing for a university? Also if anyone has any tips on the process about how I should go about it and how to prepare myself I would greatly appreciate it. I also thank everyone for the time who read this massive wall of text and for the time it takes you to respond.</p>

<p>A wonderful thing about fencing is that it is possible to do it all your life if you want to. As long as there is a fencing club nearby, you can fence without a need for a school or a team!!</p>

<p>Roundabout way of saying <em>do not</em> go to college just to fence. Go to college because you want to for other reasons. If you want to fence, there are lots of USFA and other fencing tournaments to participate in. </p>

<p>We can't tell you whether you stand a chance of getting in: that depends on your grades, SATs, where you want to go... too many variables. As far as fencing for a college, yes, you can fence NCAA. Age is not a factor and everyone from an A to a U are on NCAA teams at various levels.</p>

<p>But again, focus on whether you want to attend college and why. Once you have figured that out, then think about fencing. Meanwhile, fence locally and have fun.</p>

<p>I see what you are saying and I appreciate it :). I think I gave off on the wrong impression by expressing my passion for fencing. Yes fencing would be one reason why I would want to go, but not just for fencing. The reason I would want to go to a college is to learn of course. That and to work towards a different career path then I did before. I found out that firefighting was not the career I wanted to work for the rest of my life. Also on another note would prior SAT scores and grades come into play being 21 and out of high school for nearly 4 years. What would they consider me? As well as would it be considered a transfer since I went to a CC for a few classes to get my firefighting and EMT certs. The schools I am interested in though would be schools where I could do both collegiate fencing and get a good education.</p>

<p>I think that yours is just the background that many elite colleges and universities are looking for. Talk to the admissions people at schools that have fencing and see how they respond. And also talk to the schools that do not have fencing if a great education is your first priority. They would be interested in your background also.
Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>also check on the NCAA thing with your age,,,I know for other sports they tend to make somewhat of an issue of it,,,but maybe not so much with fencing.</p>

<p>^^ considering OSU's star quarterback, who was up for a Heisman this year, is 28 years old, I don't think his age is an issue. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/sports/ncaafootball/oklahoma-states-weeden-is-heisman-contender.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/sports/ncaafootball/oklahoma-states-weeden-is-heisman-contender.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I've heard complaints about fencing coaches bringing in foreign fencers in their mid 20's to stack their teams...</p>

<p>OP: I don't know the answers to your latest questions. I think you would be considered a transfer if you have taken CC classes for credit. I don't think old grades would be an issue as there is no way to 'update' them, but different schools may want newer SATs. Then again, there are plenty of schools that don't require SATs either so it all depends on what level of schools you are looking at.</p>

<p>You might want to pose some of these questions on the Parents Forum as there may be parents who have had children go the roundabout route and they can tell you directly.</p>

<p>Do your fencing accomplishments, and rankings, compare with those on the team rosters of colleges you are interested in? </p>

<p>You may have to retake SATs if your scores are too old- check the admissions testing requirements.</p>