Advantages of NOT attending a tier 1 college

<p>what are the advantages of attending a less selective college (beyond top 50) if one does not have plans of going on to a top graduate school?</p>

<p>In general
1. It's easier to be at the top of the class (employers look at gpa sometimes?)
2. Sometimes you get a better financial package if your stats are good enough</p>

<p>career recruiting / job application success.........career advancement.......</p>

<p>my advice is related to attending a more selective college as opposed to a less selective one.</p>

<p>If you're not into academics and don't like intellectual pursuits, you'd have more chance to do things that interest you and to also be around people who have lots in common with you.</p>

<p>The majority of students don't go to tier one schools because of 1.) they can't get in because of grades 2.) they're more expensive 3.) the reputation of tier one schools is snobby pretentious people. I disagree with Northstarmom that people who do not go to tier one schools are not into academics. hmmm, actually that answer sort of sounds like my #3 reason. Sorry, couldn't resist.</p>

<p>Actually I think if you ARE into academics and intellectual pursuits you can seek out what you want at a second tier school. I've got three family members (incl. in my H's family) who got into Ivy grad schools from 2nd tiers, and we sent someone to Harvard grad school from the 4th tier school where I volunteer. During my own years at an Ivy grad school, there were plenty of people in my class from non-tier-one schools.</p>

<p>In my second tier state school, at least one department's faculty is almost entirely from Ivies with a few other top 25 schools thrown in. There are great faculty at many schools, and a thriving intgellectual atmosphere too.</p>

<p>And there's a corollary: if you are not into academics you can actually get through a first tier, even an Ivy, without flunking out! I've seen it many times with my own eyes!</p>

<p>" I disagree with Northstarmom that people who do not go to tier one schools are not into academics"</p>

<p>That's not what I said. I said that if a person is not interested in academics and yet wants to go to college, they are more likely to find like minded peers in a school that's not a top 50 school. </p>

<p>When you look at schools like HPYS, most students really do like academics. Even if they weren't in college, they'd still be learning. They think that learning intellectual things and participating in intellectual activities are fun.</p>

<p>Most people's idea of fun isn't taking academic classes, learning languages, running student newspapers, doing research, etc. Most people think that the fun part of college is going to sports games, dating, being around young people, not going to class and learning academic things. Students may do those things -- but it's because they know they have to do the academics to stay in college. It's not because they love academics.</p>

<p>Anyway, if one wants a college experience that contains more of what most people regard as fun, go to a less competitive college.</p>

<p>A tier 1 college does not guarantee success later in life. Many people are happy at other schools. Even those eligible for tier 1. Ivy does not equal happiness.</p>

<p>Advantage? You can be PC and claim to be an anti-snob. That's about all I can think of.</p>

<p>Northstarmom, what you say makes it sound like kids going to anything less than a top 50 school are more interested in fun and games rather than learning. I think that is so far from the truth! My son who may or may not get into one or more of the top 50 schools is a kid that has always loved and been extremely enthusiastic about learning and going to school! When he goes off to college, at perhaps a 2nd or 3rd tier school, he will be eager and excited to attend classes and "participate in intellectual activities" for fun!</p>

<p>But that's still what not what she said. She said, if academics for their own sake are not your main aim in college, you will probably be happier in a less selective college.</p>

<p>From my own and my D's experience, we both bought the premise that you can get a good education anywhere, and were both sorely disappointed by the lack of academic interest and curiosity in the majority (not all) of the students around us in less selective schools. We both transfered upward, and both felt the elation of being surrounded by lots and lots of students who loved learning for its own sake. That just wasn't true at the first schools we went to, whether its PC to say that or not.</p>

<p>Not going to a tier 1 college won't make you or break you. I know that school's that aren't in the top 50 are still good schools. Just becuase some schools aren't "ivy" doesn't mean they're 2nd tier or 3rd tier. It depends on the person. Some people want an atmosphere were they can mix fun, academics, and sports. Some want academics period. Whatever college you go to depends on you, not the college.</p>

<p>If your top choice is not a tier 1 school then it's to your advantage to go there...because you'll be happy with the choice. But in general to actively seek out less selective schools offers little.</p>

<p>I think that any tier 2 college is fine, and anyone should be perfectly happy with a degree from one. </p>

<p>I was recently accepted(to my huge suprise) to UMich. Well, I don't really know the ranking, but I don't care. I know that deep down inside, The George Washington University is right for me. It's just out of the first tier, but I think overall I couldn't be happier anywhere else than GW. That's why I am applying ED.</p>

<p>Now, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to graduate from Phoenix U. Online or Devry, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 2nd tier school. I think the rankings are BS, and overall, most employers are too stupid to tell the difference between Swarthmore/Bates/Colby, etc. between Arizona State, etc. </p>

<p>So, just do what makes you happy. There are smart people at every school, and a degree from anywhere is not easy to come by.</p>

<p>I've been a student at an Ivy League and a small state school. The state school was better for me because the environment was not as stressful and I came from the same socioeconomic background. Example: many of my classmates have to balance school work with jobs since they pay their own tuition. At the Ivy most students had parents paying the full bill and they could put all of their attention towards school. The bad thing about holding jobs is that some of the students have to make compromises with their school work. Their choice is have a job and get average grades or not have a job and not be able to go to school due to no income. Every student handles it differently but from what I have seen in my class is the students who have jobs are typically the ones who get the lower grades.</p>

<p>thanks for all the responses but i should have been more specific. i'm the type of student who's driven by learning and my idea of fun is writing and reflecting about the world (i take a journal with me wherever i go). i plan to go to law school someday (just don't know which one yet) or i might aspire for columbia for journalism. i have a 1540 SAT but only a top 20% rank (there's rampant grade inflation at my school). just in case i don't get into my reaches (chicago and columbia) which will most likely be the case, i'm preparing myself to settle for a less selective school.</p>

<p>jeez i think some of you are insisting on misconstruing what NSM said</p>

<p>simply put, she's saying that one can find more students who are interested in other things besides academics at non-tier 1 schools. this shouldn't take explanation--it's obvious that students are less academically-oriented at Ohio State than at Yale. students who don't want a seriously academic atmosphere would enjoy a non-tier 1 school more. at the same time, you can get a great education at both if you look for it. the difference is in the overall atmosphere.</p>

<p>I'd like to go to a Tier 1, but my idea of fun is not studying. There is satisfaction in that, which I like, but fun to me is socializing.</p>

<p>Can I just weigh in to say that ivy league schools are hardly unsocial! No one flunks out!! grade inflation is crazy, and you'll do a lot better than at State schools! The beauty is work hard to get in and then rest easy! The mediocre school I transfered from was much harder grade -wise! You can choose to work hard and be at the top or work little and still do just fine. You won't get into Harvard Law not working hard, but many don't care!</p>