Advice for AP Bio (probably applicable to other exams as well)

<p>My AP Bio course in school left lots of material uncovered. I payed little attention second semester and got a B in the course. I didn't start studying until the weekend before the test. Yet I still got a 5. Here's my advice for last-minute study:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Buy a good prep book with plenty of practice FRQs. I like Barron's for all my tests, but Cliffs is supposedly good too for Bio. Just make sure it has lots of FRQs.</p></li>
<li><p>Take one of the practice MC tests to get a feel for that portion and maybe highlight areas of major concern.</p></li>
<li><p>Start reading the review sections. At the end of each, ignore the MC questions. They're a waste of time - too specific. Instead, do the FRQs in as much redundant detail as possible. When you're done, check the answer in the book and fill in everything you missed in red pen.</p></li>
<li><p>You can probably do step 3 for the whole review book in a day of hard work. Now do it again on day 2. The questions are the same, but that's okay. Use as much detail as possible.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Here's why the method works: the FRQs are usually very open-ended. Answering one of them will cover more topics than thirty MC questions. Plus, the answers will be burned into your brain by so much exhaustive writing.</p>

<p>This thread is redundant. Please post in <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/928834-tips-each-subject-ap-graduates.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/928834-tips-each-subject-ap-graduates.html&lt;/a> where I have copied this advice (pg 3)</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/928834-tips-each-subject-ap-graduates.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/928834-tips-each-subject-ap-graduates.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>

</p>

<p>^ I agree with the part about doing FRQs. Paying attention in class... is overrated. Especially during the horrible plant chapters (most of which we didn't even cover).</p>

<p>EDIT: I reposted this in that thread.</p>

<p>@noimagination.
I faced the same situation and I did the exact same thing as you and ended with the same results =]</p>

<p>For future AP Bio students, if you have a teacher who doesn't cover the entire Campbell Biology book, don't freak out. First, it's a thousand pages long, not that many teachers want to kill you and force you to read the whole book. Second, as SeekingUni said, though the class is challenging, the exam is truly a piece of cake provided that you know a decent amount of material.</p>

<p>I would argue against reading the Campbell book at all. My original plan was to read a 2 chapters a week starting from winter break so i'll be prepared. Unfortunately, my junior year was a bit more crazy than I expected, and I ended up only reading 3 chapters. >.< and by then it was already mid April, only 3 weeks before the exam. So instead, I bought barrens, princeton review, and borrowed cliffs. Many people suggests cliff, and I do too because it really is just a summary of Campbell Bio (my friend and i even checked, the subsections corresponded many times, haha). I usually prefer using barrens because I'll feel confident on test day. However, I ended regreting using barrens. I wasted my time on that book. If you honestly remember everything you learned on princeton review, you'll get a 5 90% of the times. And the weekend before, read over princeton review one or more times, that way you'll consolidate what you've learned for the monday AP bio test. </p>

<p>As noimagination said, take only 1 ap bio MC exam. Though i took two and would recommend it if you have time, 1 is enough to get you to have the feeling of what AP bio mc expects. and once you take it, you'll know the questions aren't too terribly difficult (at least A LOT easier than the Campbell tests). Definitely do as many FRQ questions as possible. I also found them a lot more exciting to do. It's a great way to review. The weekend before the test, I did all the FRQs from 2004-2009 and then did some on princeton review. </p>

<p>Don't be intimidated.</p>

<p>For someone who got a 5 this year self study, Campbells text book + Cliffnotes is a winning combination. But, MIT Opencourseware is an absolutely fantastic resource. Listen to some lectures by Professor Eric Lander; they will blow your mind and enhance greatly your understanding.</p>