Aerospace Engineering

Hi,
I am currently a high school student.
I deeply want to be an aeronautical engineering, which means I definitely need to go to graduate school.
However, before that, I need to think of my undergraduate first.
my counseler told me that my current position is eligible for UMich and Northwestern. She wants me to ED Northwestern. Yet Northwestern does not have aerospace engineering but NW has a great campus life, a really strong engineering program and I prefer NW over UMich. However, I really worry if I do Mechanical Engineering in NW will it hinder or affect my chance to get into top graduate school for aerospace engineering ?
Do I really need to do have a aero engin degree to do graduate aeronatical space engin ? How much it will affect me?
I really into aerospace engineering. Should I ED Northwestern ?
Thank you very much

Mech E will NOT prevent you from going to work for an aerospace firm or from getting an advanced degree in Aero. It’s common. As far as EDing to Northwestern, I have no recommendation there.

Thank you very much.
Anyone know that whether I could get an internship opportunity for any airplane’s company if I am a student in NW ?

If you are an international candidate, you will be limited by your visa. Not too many airline companies are around building planes. Boeing is in Seattle and they generally have their contracts in multiple cities for EE and ME’s with the corporate engineering firms since AE’s are limited in scope.

Ohh, that’s great to know. Thanks a lot.
Yes, I am an international student. So does it not make any differences if I choose mech e over aero e ?

No. There will be some electives relating to aircraft. Make sure you take those.

Also, check with @b@r!um who had an international friend who graduated with a degree in AE. The friend found out the hard way that she was not employable neither in the U.S., nor in the home country.

Most contractors get their funding from the Feds, which means, if you are not a citizen, you won’t get a security clearance to qualify for those jobs.

To breakdown the difference between Aerospace and Mechanical when it comes to college credits:

Mechanical Engineering:
120 Total Credits
30 General Credits
30 General Engineering Credits
60 Mechanical Engineering Credits

Mechanical with Concentration in Aerospace:
120 Total Credits
30 General Credits
45 MechE Credits
15 Aerospace Credits

Aerospace Engineering:
120 Total Credits
30 General Credits
60 Aerospace Engineering Credits

If you want to do MechE at least look for places with concentrations or minors in Aerospace. It will be hard to go to Grad School for a completely different field of engineering.

For the future you should try to get US citzenship because the military aerospace companies (Lockheed Martin, Northrop Gruman, etc) need you to obtain secret clearance and only citzens are eligible.

@mohchan360 I don’t know which school you got those credit breaks from but that is not universal across the board. Each school will be different on what is needed for those degrees. I agree it will be hard to go to school for a completely different field of engineering. But Aero is not really a completely different field. Chem E and Aero would have little overlap.

VERY common to do undergrad in Mech Eng & then grad school in Aero.

Thank you so much for you guys’ information. I really appreciate it.
@mohchan360 - your information really worries me of these differences. Do you know where you get these informations ?
In term of employment, I think I should not worry too much at this moment. I just want to get an intern in aero - related field in my undergraduate.
Still, just to ensure my choice, do you guys know anyone that study Mech E in Northwestern and then take Graduate school in Aero ? Does the school support my choice ? (Becuase it appears like Northwestern has bothing Aero related, which is very sad)

Just curious. but what is it that you don’t care for at The University of Michigan?

OP probably thinks the requirements might be hard to achieve.

Have you looked at Cornell for undergrad? A friend of my D’s just graduated from there & was accepted at both Stanford & MIT for Aerospace Engineering

@csdad yeah I did look at Cornell. But I just don’t want to be in the IVY school. And I just don’t want to be in the middle of no where
@rjkofnovi My counseler does not like UMich because the school is huge and she said the rank in engineering means nothing since most of the money will get into the graduate ? Is that true?
How would you guys rank between engineering in UMich and Northwestern ?
I really wonder why UMich general rank is so low ? do you know why ?

I’m sorry, what does that mean?

As far as engineering goes, the important thing is to have ABET accreditation. That’s what employers care about.

Those credit stats are taken from Georgia Tech, U of Delaware, Rutgers, and NJIT. Northwestern isn’t renowned for its engineering like UMich is, and frankly its a lot harder to get into and more expensive, at least for US students.

@HuyTranDang How did you come to decide that Cornell is in the middle of nowhere?

@“Erin’s Dad” i’m sorry but what is ABET ? What I mean is like the money that the school have will put to the research in graduate school but not undergraduate. What I am worrying about UMich is that its Undergraduate is not as great as it appear on the ranking. Just like the IVY people will go to Purdue for graduate but not at the undergraduate. Yet, Purdue’s engineering is really high. That’s what I am confusing about.
@mohchan360 thank you. 'cause those schools have a separate aerospace engineering department. But for school like NW, I don’t know clearly what they have. If I ED NW, the acceptance rate will be 35% (RD is 11%) … so my chance is the same as EA UMich.
But because its ED, so I don’t want to have my chance being risk.
For an extra questions, for me as an international student, does anyone know what is the total money (tuition and living cost) for NW and UMich ?