Alterations?

<p>I have been losing anywhere from 1-3 pounds just about every week for a couple months now, and I am starting to look into having some of my clothes altered. Going out and buying new stuff every two weeks is getting really old-- and expensive! But I've never had any alterations done that were more complicated than having pants hemmed, so I'm not sure what the limitations are.</p>

<p>I have these two dresses that I REALLY want to keep, I haven't even gotten to wear them yet and they're already too big, and I was wondering if these were something that could be altered or would it be too difficult?</p>

<p>S.L</a>. Fashions Party Dress, Rosette Taffeta : dresses : women : jcpenney </p>

<p>Chiffon</a> Dress, Flutter Sleeve Shutterpleat Dress : dresses : women : jcpenney </p>

<p>I MIGHT maybe be able to just exchange them for a smaller size still if the store still has enough selection, but in a couple weeks they'll just be too big again and the idea of going to the customer service counter right now is not appealing....</p>

<p>I believe they can be altered but altering both dresses (taking the side seams in, etc.) will probably cost you at least the price of dress #2. Check with a local tailoring ship or full-service dry cleaner for a quote. You might want to simply exchange them at JCP (if tags are still on them) for other merchandise when you feel you are getting "closer" to your target weight.</p>

<p>Most stores will allow you a time period of at least 30 days after purchase or after XMAS to return/exchange. </p>

<p>Generally, reducing clothing more than 1/2 to 1 size makes the fit slightly "off," in my mind, even if the seamstress is very good. The proportions are just not quite right. Since you keep losing, it might make more sense to buy things that can be belted or knits/fabrics that drape attractively. Separates might also make sense, as knit tops can handle singificant weight fluctuations and still look great. Buying fewer fitted items of clothing would definitely make sense at this point (consider elastic waistbanks covered by a great belt or scarf). Discount stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJMaxx, Nordstrom's Rack & others, as well as thrift shops would be great for purchasing.</p>

<p>One of the deciding factors is how close you are to your goal weight. If you are within a few pounds, you could consider buying now in the size you will be, rather than altering what you have.</p>

<p>I agree that altering is risky especially if you need to go down a few sizes. I have a suit that I altered and the pants turned out OK but the suit jacket just could never get to the size that really fit. </p>

<p>I lost about 30 pounds or so (about 3 dress sizes) over six months and I ended just having to give away many of the clothes that no longer fit. Some of the dresses still fit as they were stretchy that allowed them to still look OK. Many others were not going to be a good fit, even with alterations.</p>

<p>I'm not a seamstress, but those dresses look fairly complicated to alter, due to the layers. However, you never know - I found a very inexpensive place that does alterations and have had some items altered quite reasonably.</p>

<p>I have also lost quite a bit of weight and can't afford to spend a lot on clothes, but literally didn't have anything to wear. I've found things on sale/clearance at Kohl's, JC Penney's, and done VERY well at our local thrift store. I have found pieces from Talbots, Nordstroms, Ann Taylor, etc. Plus, I don't feel so bad when after a month it doesn't fit anymore if I only paid $4 for it!</p>

<p>I still have another 20lbs to lose, and I'm kind of at a funny point right now where my actual weight isn't changing but my clothes are still getting bigger even though I'm not doing a significant amount of working out at the moment... I scaled back considerably so these stupid dresses would fit long enough to wear them at least once. :P I bought these to wear one of them to go to Wicked at the opera house on the 30th! I am guessing they are probably half a size to a size too big. I fit into the size down when I tried them on but it wasn't flattering.</p>

<p>I suspect I will plateau at around here for a few weeks before it starts coming off quite that steadily again, but I'm thrown off by the fact that these dresses are too big. I bought them two weeks ago, my weight has not changed, and I've only gone to the gym once since I bought them. So I don't know what's going on.</p>

<p>I am having a really hard time with clothes in general. I'm 5'7 and about a size 10 right now, but I am VERY busty and have wide hips, but a TEENY tiny (and VERY SHORT) waist. The freakishly short waist makes most belted stuff look funny on me-- all choppy and cut off, and if something isn't fitted enough my whole body looks as wide as my chest and hips-- which adds about 40lbs to my appearance. It seems like the only way to not look like a cow is to play up the small waist, but those clothes aren't forgiving of weight loss. I am having the HARDEST time keeping a work-appropriate wardrobe together, and I've gone out for new jeans three times since October. I think those kinds of things are probably easier to have altered but I want to keep these dresses. :(</p>