Alumni of non-football schools: Do you feel left out on fall Saturdays?

<p>If you went to a college that doesn't have football, do you feel envious of those who appear happy to cheer on alma mater on fall Saturdays, either in person or watching TV? Same question to those whose school has football, but not at a level that is often televised.</p>

<p>My alma mater has football, and it is sometimes televised. I don't watch it, never have, never will. Don't care.</p>

<p>Not in the slightest. Neither my undergraduate nor graduate school had football, I'm happy to say.</p>

<p>I find it really hard to believe people care about college football, so no, I don't feel at all left out. Our local news is full of the college results anyway, as I am in a football crazed area, and between the pro team and the college teams it is revolting how much time football takes up in the news! My 2 oldest children have chosen colleges that don't have football teams; we are not a sports fanatic family.</p>

<p>(I do, however, profess continued support for the Browns mostly to irritate my Steelers fan friends and neighbors. My H who went to Penn State for UG sometimes watches their games.)</p>

<p>wouldn't we have to care about football in the first place?
My oldest went to a high school and college that didn't have football. ( they did have rugby)
Youngest attended a high school that had football but wasn't known for the team, same with her university.
Even when we are in the area on football weekends , haven't attended a game.
I would like to be able to see her play soccer though & she has gotten together a flag football team, but don't know how organized it is.
The most I pay attention to football, is to know when there is a home game at our local flagship so I can stay out of the area.</p>

<p>I also don't watch sports on tv- except for the olympics.</p>

<p>I'll be the contrarian and say:</p>

<p>1) My alma mater is a second-tier program.
2) It doesn't bother me in the least the games aren't televised.
3) But I LOVE college football and cheer for my hometown team.</p>

<p>"My alma mater has football, and it is sometimes televised. I don't watch it, never have, never will. Don't care."</p>

<p>I think you and I have the same alma mater, VHappy. I went to the NU/Illinois game at Wrigley Field and will be going to a game during my reunion weekend this fall -- purely to socialize and catch up with friends, same as when i was in school. Otherwise, why would I possibly care, and what on earth would I feel "left out" of? It's just an odd question in the first place. Jealous of what? People in sports bars? Rofl.</p>

<p>I imagine it depends (to some extent) on how you feel about football. I graduated from a Big Ten university where football was king. I got through four years without going to one football game. It just wasn't something that I wanted to do. I remember telling that to someone at a party and he looked at me like I had three heads!</p>

<p>My alma mater does have a football team, but it's never been what draws people to the college.</p>

<p>I do like to watch sports, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that my college is never on television. I suspect you'll find that very few alumni of colleges with no football (or laughable football) care. For the most part, people who care as alumni would have cared as teens, too, and they would have chosen major-sports universities. I doubt there are a lot of people who graduate and then say, "Whoa, colleges have football teams? I wish I'd known that before I went to Vassar!"</p>

<p>H and I both went to a huge state university with a football team that has several national championships and is always highly ranked. We still watch (on TV) and cheer on our team.</p>

<p>Our boys went to a college that barely has a football team. One of them doesn't care about college or pro sports, and the other inherited our college team and has a favorite pro team. I think this son would have liked to have the college football experience himself, but not so much that he would attend a school for that reason.</p>

<p>I attended Towson, but cheer for U of Maryland. </p>

<p>This has nothing to do with who's on TV. It's just that Towson wasn't/isn't a football school. Nobody gives hoot about that sport there.</p>

<p>Nope.</p>

<p>Don't care about hockey, either, which is the sport you're supposed to care about if you went to my alma mater.</p>

<p>Well Pizza et al-among men--and a few women at offices all over the US where I have worked it is a major topic of interest and a fun nonwork related bonding agent. Also great client relations venue. Same for NCAA basketball and doing the brackets.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the dissing, ladies, but I thought it was sort of obvious that this thread was aimed at that half of the population that is genetically capable of understanding what a first down is.</p>

<p>I love college football - and I'm always sorry when the season is over. I attend at least one game a year for my D3 alma mater, will attend another NESCAC game to watch younger son's good friend, and will attend at least two Northwestern games this fall. Everyone in my family feels the same way - last fall, as Northwestern almost beat Michigan State, my husband and I were "watching" the scores on my i phone in Montreal, younger S was watching in a hostel in Prague and older S and friends were watching in NYC. Schmaltz, my advice to someone who feels left out would be to adopt a team!</p>

<p>I went to a SEC university - never saw a game while I was there. Nor did I watch it on TV. In fact, I never watched any football until son started playing in middle school and then all through high school and I was forced to sit through 6 seasons of games.</p>

<p>Hubby went to same university - big fan, has season tickets more often than not. I never went with him to a single game until last year when our son started attending the same university. I started going with hubby so I could see our son (hey- it was a good excuse to check up on him). Actually found it to be rather exciting - especially since our school had a great season. Am looking forward to it again this year. The tailgating aspect of it surprised me. People make it into a day-long party - who knew you could stretch it out to an all day event but people seem to take their football very seriously in the south. The girls even dress up for it.</p>

<p>Well, barrons, those who want to engage in it as a fun nonwork bonding experience are certainly capable of picking a team they like. I have friends who are fans of Duke basketball, for example, who have no ties to Duke. And then those who don't care -- well, they / we will continue not to care. I still don't get Schmaltz' "left out" comment, because you're not prohibited from liking, following or cheering for a team that you don't have a personal connection to. "I like this team" is all the personal connection needed; having attended the school is irrelevant. Plenty of people cheer Mich vs OSU or USC vs UCLA or Notre Dame vs whoever who have absolutely no connection to those schools.</p>

<p>Hey jrpar, maybe I'll see you there this fall! I'll be the one completely oblivious to the actual game. Ha ha.</p>

<p>My school dropped football many years ago. D's school either did the same or never had a team (can't remember which). H's school has a Division I team which is never very good but is seen on TV every year in the Army-Navy game. That's probably the only college football game I actually watch. I'm sort of nominally a fan of the flagship from my home state but I never watch them play.</p>

<p>It wasn't obvious, Schmaltz. You didn't ask if football lovers felt left out-- you asked a general question.</p>