Am I being completely unreasonable?

<p>I feel like such a terrible person.
Where to start? Well I'm an International student from the Caribbean and I've been studying in the US for 3 years now because I really, really want to go to a US med school, the problem is, I feel so selfish for wanting this. My parents have been hinting very strongly for me to go to University of the West Indies (UWI) for med school but I don't want to. However, there are so many pros associated with going to UWI that I'm having trouble justifying my hesitation.</p>

<p>Why my parents want me to go:
It really is an excellent school
Its cheaper
I can cut my undergrad a year short
It'll make my parents happy</p>

<p>Why I don't want to go:
I came to America to get away from the Caribbean
I don't want to cut my time here short, I've made great friends and contacts and I've dreamed about graduating as a Spartan.
I want to practice in the US and I know its extremely hard to match into residencies from a non-US school.
I'll feel like all my time spent here in the US preparing for getting into med school would have been wasted and I'll feel like a quitter.</p>

<p>I know financially that things are pretty tough and my parents have been funding my undergrad but I fully intend on funding my med school tuition out of my own pocket more than likely through loans. I also understand how difficult it would be for me to get into a US med school but I still want to try!
My compromise that I've always intended to do was to finish up my degree and apply to US med schools and UWI and weigh my options then. But that means my parents will have to fund one more year of college for me.
Am I being incredibly selfish and unreasonable for wanting this compromise? Its just so tough to have wanted something and worked at it for so long to just have to turn my back on it. I just can't wrap my mind around it.</p>

<p>The most important question is--</p>

<p>Are you a US citizen or US permanent resident?</p>

<p>If you're not, then your chances of gaining admission to a US med school are pretty much nil. US med schools accept very, very few internationals. And those accepted are not eligible for federal loans. (Which is pretty much how most US medical students fund their education.)</p>

<p>I'm not a citizen or resident but my chances aren't nil. I've done a lot of research on med schools so I know that federally funded public schools don't admit internationals and that my chances are less that a US citizen's own at some private institutions but I believe that I am a pretty strong applicant and while my chances aren't stellar, they're far from nil. I know internationals who have gotten into US med schools and I'm using them as my guides. They've told me that while its tough its definitely not impossible.</p>

<p>This is sooo early for you to think about Med. School. Most (by far) who started as pre-meds in UG fall out of pre-med track. I am talking about very top caliber High School students with very strong academic backgrounds. Lots and lots of them do not survive. I would advise to go to ANY UG (prefferably the cheapest, best is free - my own D. who is in Med. School now went to state UG for free), get awesome GPA (3.6+), decent MCAT (33+) and then see what you can do and where you can apply to Med. School. In addition, situation (you personal and in regard to medicine in the USA) might change in 4 years, most likely will, so your current frustration might not or most likely will not be applicable at all.</p>

<p>Getting into a US med school will be difficult, but even if you do get in, how are you going to pay for med school? </p>

<p>Will your parents pay for a US med school? Int'ls often have to show that they have the funds .. How would you pay for a US med school?</p>

<p>NAAHP:</a> Medical School Admission Policies Towards Non-U.S. Citizens</p>

<p>This is somewhat dated list (2009) of policies towards international med school applicants.</p>

<p>The numbers aren't pretty and your odds of getting into a US school are long. And even if you are accepted, it still doesn't resolve the financing problem. You are not eligible for federal loans and you will not be able to get a private student loan without a US co-signer. (Unless your medical school offers them to international students--and only a handful of schools will do that.)</p>

<p>I would like to know what the general situation has been for int'ls that have been accepted to med schools. Have they been....</p>

<p>1) hooked in some special way, research, child of a diplomat, etc?</p>

<p>2) went to an elite US or int'l undergrad</p>

<p>3) wealthy and family is donating</p>

<p>4) amazing MCAT, GPA, and ECs</p>

<p>What? It just doesn't seem that likely that an int'l with strong stats and no special hook has much of a chance of being admitted to a US SOM. </p>

<p>Do you go to Mich State? Or some other MSU?</p>

<p>If it's possible for you to get into Med School here in the US, do what makes you happy. You're family can't live you're life. If you are full of regret & misery you may blame them for holding you back.</p>

<p>Miami</p>

<p>I may have read the OP incorrectly but it seemed to me that he/she is in their 3rd year of college in the US, maybe Michigan State?</p>

<p>Yes, I think the student is currently an undergrad at MSU...going to graduate in '13.</p>

<p>*If it's possible for you to get into Med School here in the US, do what makes you happy. You're family can't live you're life. If you are full of regret & misery you may blame them for holding you back. *</p>

<p>Well, since this student is an int'l, he may need his parents' money or loan help to pay for med school....so if they won't co-operate, it will be an issue.</p>

<p>It would be very hard for a int'l to somehow get funding all by himself..unless he's independently wealthy. </p>

<p>I wonder what the typical stats are for an int'l accepted to a US med school? </p>

<p>While some might say that a domestic student with a 3.8+ GPA and a 33 MCAT and good ECs has a 80+% chance of acceptance after applying to a well-thought out list....I'm guessing the chances for an int'l with the same stats would be small or very small..</p>

<p>Yes, I'm a Junior at Michigan State.
@Mom2collegekids
I of the people that I've talked to, they weren't rich, or elite or any of those things except extremely hard working students who set their minds to achieving their goals. One of them is a Cardiothoracic surgeon I shadowed who trained at Hopkins, another is currently doing his residency at Wake Forest and has funded his education through government loans and bursaries. And I've spoken to more students with situations like mine.</p>

<p>As for the financial part, while my parents don't have the liquid assets to cover costs, we have a pretty successful, well known (in the Bahamas) business and due to that I believe that with a little hussle I should be able to secure a loan from a bank at home. I am well aware that I'm not eligible for federal loans.</p>

<p>Yes the numbers are scary, the chances are low and the price tag is high and its going to be extremely hard but its not impossible.<br>
What I'm really concerned about is leaving MSU without a degree which is what my parents have been hinting at. By the end of this school year, a substantial amount of money would have already been invested into my education and I just feel it would all be a waste to walk away without my bachelor's.</p>

<p>Mom2: perhaps add URM to your list (which the OP is)?</p>

<p>*Mom2: perhaps add URM to your list (which the OP is)? *</p>

<p>Not sure. </p>

<p>I recall (don't know if it's accurate), that supposedly schools don't count minority int'ls as URMs. </p>

<p>The position was that schools don't count int'l minorities as URMs because it doesn't "correct" the injustices that American URMs have faced....which is supposed to be the purpose of Affirmative Action policies. </p>

<p>Obviously, enrolling a number of Black int'ls from Africa does nothing to help AAs that were historically mistreated. </p>

<p>Of course, AAs that have recently immigrated to the US do get counted as URMs, and that has caused some controversy because they also haven't had the historical injustices in this country..</p>

<p>However, the info I got may be wrong.</p>

<p>^^It depends on the school, some count internationals as minorities, most don't.</p>

<p>It is probably too late to change course now. </p>

<p>However, you are selfish if you do not keep the following in mind. And, I doubt that you will be a good doctor if you don't.</p>

<p>1) Your parents have no obligation to pay US tuition for you in the first place.
2) Your parents' business may be good for now. However, there is no guarantee that it will remain that way.
3) Who is going to cosign the loan back at home with you and are you going to pay it off? What if you can't make into a US residency program? How are you going to earn enough money to pay the loan off?
4) Do you have any siblings who may need the educational funds?</p>

<p>For another poster:</p>

<p>"Your family can't live your life" may only be true if you don't count on your parents for anything.</p>