<p>510 Math
520Reading
3.0GPA unweighted (on a 4.5 scale)
Currently Taking A.P GOV
I plan on majoring in: Political Science, Video Film, and/or Aerospace Technician(as well as Piloting)
I’m looking for some safety schools, and I’ve come across a lot (the average acceptance rate of thses schools was problay from 75%-90%), but everything I read about them leads me to believe there just a place for highschool failures and to go and party. Don’t get me wrong, I want a school that likes to party, but all these schools give of the vibe that ALL THEY DO is party. In case things don’t go my way, I don’t want to spend the next 4 years being the only one in my Dorm Hall who wants to study instead of having a keg party everynight.
So I guess what I’m asking is
-If I go to a school with low average scores and high acceptance rates, am I doomed to be surrounded by those kind of people mentioned above?
-for those of you who went to your safety school, what school was it, what was your education experience like vs your social life experience, and does one interfere with the other?
-If you didn’t go to your safety school, can you suggest some you thought about going to?</p>
<br>
<br>
<p>Why do you think that all/most safety schools are like this? </p>
<p>My kids’ undergrad has the stereotype of being a party school (like many colleges with big sports)…but that doesn’t mean that they or all the others party every night. Do you really think that kids can graduate in serious majors if they’re partying every (or most) nights???</p>
<p>Where are you applying?</p>
<p>Even most “party schools” are pretty quiet Sunday-Wed. People might hit the bars/clubs Thurs and most parties are Fri/Sat nights.</p>
<p>I guess I’m reading these reviews and taking them to seriously. A school like Eastern Michigan University gets some really harsh stuff said about the student body being to involved in the party scene.</p>
<p>The deal with the partying, is that no one can keep that up for very long because they will flunk out. Some won’t even make it to Thanksgiving. </p>
<p>Look carefully at the housing options. Can you choose a “quiet” floor or suite? Can you move off campus with a quieter set of friends?</p>
<p>And, if you are in the lab, library, or film studio working to all hours of the night, you may well never be in the dorm during party time.</p>
<p>Most less selective colleges (including both four year schools and community colleges) have large commuter student populations. That tends to mean less on-campus partying.</p>
<p>Are you a Mich resident?</p>
<p>Frankly, with your stats, your school choices are going to be limited anyway. Many of the best schools aren’t going to accept a 3.0 GPA with a 1030 Math + Critical Reading.</p>
<p>If your parents will pay $50k+ per year, then maybe there are some nice privates that would work. </p>
<p>What is your budget?</p>
<p>Look for the substance free dorms at these schools. That doesn’t mean you can’t party at all - but it means that the parties happen somewhere else and you won’t have a hard- partying room-mate. It’s also a good way to find students who have other ideas about what constitutes a good time.</p>
<p>A lot of schools also have residential learning communities or theme housing that might be a good choice. After your first year, you’ll know which dorms have a quieter reputation than others. And like others have said, a lot of those people will be long gone before you graduation.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>There are plenty of matches, and if you’re looking for a Michigan public, I’m sure you know you have the stats for Ferris State, Lake Superior, Eastern Michigan, and others. No, they’re not the “best” schools, but they’re schools where you can get an education. </p>
<p>I went to a borderline competitive/less competitive private school that had both a large number of commuters and a large number of party people. Lots of people dropped out. It took very little time for me to find friends who took school seriously, who didn’t party, and who were around most weekends. Many were there on scholarship or because the school had a few really good programs. On weekends we would go to movies, go shopping, go to the occasional party or just hang out (and, you know, study). I was also involved in competitive public speaking, which kept me out of trouble and away from campus on a few weekends each semester. It takes all types to make a college. </p>
<p>I’m not sure you’ll be able to find all your academic interests in one school, but you should be able to get a good education and have an enjoyable college experience.</p>