Am I IN or OUT? Decisions come out Tuesday, guess my decision till then!

<p>Basically a chances thread ^__^</p>

<p>Background: First generation & low income (0k - parents recently divorced, mom has no income, but dad’s reported income is 24k). South Korean, living in Southern Cali.</p>

<p>GPA: 3.93 UW; 4.5 W
Rank 2 out of 720.</p>

<p>SAT’s:
SAT Reasoning: 2300 superscore (2260 from one sitting)
SAT Physics: 800
SAT Math L2: 800
SAT Literature : 780
SAT Biology: 740</p>

<p>13 AP classes taken (6 of them junior year), Self-studied Calc BC, 4 community college courses taken</p>

<p>Awards:
2007 Caltech Signature Award
2nd Place AMC 12 School Wide & invited to AIME 10th grade
AP Scholar with Distinciton
Nat. Merit Semi-Finalist
School’s Community Service Award x2</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
-Jisan Research Institute
My main extracurricular. Conducted scientific research on swarm based construction (computational research), was group head of my team. Got a great letter of rec from my mentor, who wants to send the finished paper we’re sending for publication later this month.
-FIRST Robotics for 3 years
-Volunteered for Beckman Research Institute at City of Hope for 3 years
explain that I was motivated to start because my sister got thyroid cancer my sophomore year.
-TA’d for some teachers during summer school.
-Key Club; Treasurer 11th, was a member for 4 years
-Hip Hop United; VP 12th
-Afterschool math tutoring for volunteering 9th-10th</p>

<p>Work Experience:
-Banana Republic cashier since Sept 2007
-Laundry Zone Employeen last summer job
-Math Instructor at Jisan Research Institute since May 2007
-Physics Tutor for a small class last year
-SAT Tutor and Chemistry Tutor since May 2007</p>

<p>Essays:
-I had good feedback from my essays. Spent a long time on my commonapp one, had a teacher thoroughly correct it. At one interview, my interviewer told me how she loved my essays.</p>

<p>I really hope I get into Duke. This is my first decision for a school that’s important to me where I think I actually have a shot (got waitlisted at MIT and Wash U; didn’t really care).</p>

<p>Welcome to Duke!</p>

<p>Agree with Mondo. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Love Banana Republic.</p>

<p>Easy in. Agree with all the above.</p>

<p>Out. .</p>

<p>LOL, thanks everyone for the support. Makes me feel MUCH better.</p>

<p>And Rosh, thanks for your honesty.</p>

<p>So the tally is:
In - 3
Out - 1</p>

<p>this makes me optimistic since my stats are about the same. Are Duke decisions less random than the ivies? Are 2300’s with good EC’s likely admits?</p>

<p>i’d say in, but if you got rejected i wouldnt be surpirsed</p>

<p>Lemme know if you get in - I am getting more and more students with FIRST backgrounds who want to do more with it at Duke</p>

<p>lol…dukeie you are innie…</p>

<p>if youre out then im definitely out so…</p>

<p>IN!</p>

<p>lol</p>

<p>If you want an absolute answer I’d say In.</p>

<p>But remember, only the sith deal in absolute…and college admissions</p>

<p>you are in imo</p>

<p>In - 8
Out - 1</p>

<p>Awesome; I have a feeling I’m just setting myself up for disappointment now =X.</p>

<p>I’ll let you guys know the outcome!</p>

<p>lol…madboy, I thought you had eclipsed my vocabulary at first. So I googled “sith” and found out that it was just a star wars term. Ha!</p>

<p>NO way in h*ll you’re out.</p>

<p>yeah madboy, nice star wars quote. (obiwon says it to annikan remember phpfan?)</p>

<p>to the OP:

  1. I’d say you’re in, and I say it with confidence.
  2. did you not apply for scholarships at Wash U?–they’re a real @#!^ about that.
  3. sorry about MIT, I would have said you were in there too</p>

<p>LMAO WESTSIDEWOLF!!!</p>

<p>Well, I’m a bit nervous because I reread my “Why Duke” essay and it’s shet. </p>

<p>No, I didn’t apply for scholarships. I didn’t attend any info sessions, interview, visit campus, or anything of that sort. XD</p>

<p>In - 10
Out - 1</p>

<p>ur definitely good enough to get in, and duke admissions aren’t as random as ivy league admissions so i think ur in</p>

<p>To the OP: I only said “OUT” to be different, lol. And as much as I love being right, I do hope you get in. :)</p>