Am I Obligated to tell my school that I am establishing residency in another state?

<p>I am attending a school right now in GA to finish up my core classes before I apply for Grad schools in Florida. I am going to establish my residency in Florida 1 year before I attend classes so I can get in-state tuition (I will be switching my bank, getting a Drivers license, and registering to vote, and changing my default address to my Brothers domicile). However I will still be taking classes in Georgia pretty much the whole way until I have to move to florida. Will I be obligated to tell my school in Georgia that I switched my residency over and thus charging me for in-state tuition (I figure me living in GA will still grant me it)</p>

<p>I believe what you are planning to do will not work. That one year pre-school residency requirement for purpose of in-state tuition in Florida requires two additonal facts which you are unlikely to meet: (a) you must be supporting yourself during that one year independent of your parents (don't know if you are doing that now); (b) your physical body must in fact reside in Florida throughout that one year, see, e.g., <a href="http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/residency/independent.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/residency/independent.html&lt;/a> ; simply having an address, driver's license, etc., is not enough, and the college will know you do not meet that requirement because when you apply you will tell the college that you are attending school in Georgia.</p>

<p>I do not know how Georgia will react or whether you have to tell the college. However, if you do you could be creating a basis for denying in state tuition because you do change your address, driver's license, etc. to Florida. In other words, you could end up being a non-resident for purposes of tuition in both states (and no, neither state would consider that unfair).</p>

<p>Thanks for the response drusba. Well I am in a very interesting situation. I have been declared an independent for the last 3 years (still am this year because I work to support myself and pay their rent). I graduated from a college in FL in winter 2010 and then moved up with my mom right then. I kept my FL license the entire time and had no ties to GA. </p>

<p>I ended up going back to a technical college to get some core classes before I go to grad school. I had plenty of documents that showed I lived in GA there an entire year but did not have a license so I had to finally get a GA license and relinquished my FL license. I am only getting in-state tuition because I have a presidential waiver because they won't consider me a GA resident for another year. </p>

<p>Also how will attending the GA college prove I did not live in FL for a full year. I don't see anything strange with me moving to FL but driving up for 3 days straight to attend my classes while staying with my mom and driving back down where my brother lives. Can they really hold that against me? My sister is a transcript coordinator and she said that transcripts are a completely separate process from residency and they usually come after the residency has even been determined.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also how will attending the GA college prove I did not live in FL for a full year.

[/quote]

<a href="I%20figure%20me%20living%20in%20GA%20will%20still%20grant%20me%20it">QUOTE</a>

[/QUOTE]

Living in GA will prove you don't live in FL</p>

<p>If I break all my legal ties to GA and have it all in FL then there would be no way to verify I lived in GA. People often declare residency in another state while living in a different one.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Parents and students must also be aware that falsifying student residence to financially benefit from reduced tuition are committing residence fraud, which could result in criminal charges and restitution for the actual unpaid tuition.

[/quote]

Dealing</a> With College Residency Requirements for Out-of-State Students | VerifyResidence.com</p>

<p>

</p>