Amazon's Kindle Owners' Lending Library

<p>Amazon just added another perk to Amazon Prime. Members can "borrow" Kindle books (one per month - no due date) for free. I've been wavering about whether to pay $79 a year for Amazon Prime but this made me join. I pay more than $79 a year purchasing Kindle books so this will actually save me money, plus I get the free 2-day shipping and the streaming TV and movies. :)</p>

<p>I buy Kindle books as well- but read them on my macbook/iphone, looks like it is only for the Kindle.</p>

<p>That's great. I have Amazon Prime and buy 4-6 books a month for my kindle.</p>

<p>Wow, one book a month? That's pretty cool! Just wanted to verify: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&lt;/a> It's true!</p>

<p>Check out your library -- you can get e-books with just your library card.</p>

<p>I work at a library and do get e-books but bestsellers are not available immediately. Frankly, I probably don't need any more books but I do like to have an e-book on my phone for unexpected waits. And the problem with library e-books is they only have a two or three week check out before disappearing.</p>

<p>I am really excited about this. Our library has e-books, but a very strict license -- you can only have them for 2 weeks, and they can't be renewed. Also, there is also a long (several weeks) wait time for the e-book in the first place. I can keep a paper book with renewals for several months...can't always finish one in 2 weeks. I love the concept of bestsellers, and that I can keep one as long at I need it! </p>

<p>Now just have to wait for Santa to build me that Kindle Fire...</p>

<p>And for people w/Amazon Prime -- if it's not a student membership, can you ship to more than one address?</p>

<p>My son has an upgraded student prime membership and I've used it to ship to various addresses for the same free rate.</p>

<p>I never had issue shipping to multiple addresses on a student membership even during the free year. Home, school, my brother's place, friends' places, etc all worked fine. I did always use credit cards with billing addresses tied to my home address, though.</p>

<p>I'm now on the discounted paid student version so I can have the streaming (plus my free year expired a couple months ago). I ship to multiple addresses just as easily as I did during my free year. Did they change to allowing only one address? It would be silly to only allow one address since students can often have multiple addresses. I have minimum two that I ship to, sometimes more depending where I am.</p>

<p>Does anyone see how the free book would work? I only have the kindle app on my phone, (I actually own a nook) and just looking at the kindle store here Amazon.com:</a> Kindle eBooks: Find an eBook, Free eBooks, Digital Books, and Books Online I don't see instructions.</p>

<p>^ kathiep, from the little reading that I did, it looks like the lending library is available only on actual Kindle devices. Does Nook have anything similar? (If not yet, I'd imagine it will be in the works to compete with Kindle...)</p>

<p>It specifically says "Books borrowed from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library can only be read on a Kindle device, not on Kindle reading apps. "</p>

<p>Yaah.. Amazon Prime is one more bonus for the kindle readers</p>

<p>Thanks for pointing that out. Nook has a free book or two available every Friday, so I will just continue taking advantage of that. I got the nook specifically for checking out e-books at the library. Now that kindle is also going to accept the e-pub format, I will look into that for my parents. </p>

<p>I did find out the specific directions for the kindle free book: Amazon.com:</a> Kindle Owners' Lending Library</p>

<p>Our library also subscribes to Overdrive which you can use on your Kindle, but so far I haven't been happy with the search engine, even if you put in specific title, all kinds of things come up that you have to wade through.
OverDrive</a> – Library</p>

<p>It's not just your kindle and overdrive, because I've had the same non-intuitive problems with my Nook and overdrive. I'm guessing (hoping) that they will work all the kinks out soon. There are too many steps to find a book and then upload it. I've done half a dozen books so far, including placing holds, but it's just not as straightforward as it is to download a purchased book.</p>

<p>Has anyone found a complete list of the books available? It seems like you can't figure it out until you go to order a book...then it says it right there on the order page.
I want to browse the selection but can't find a list!</p>

<p>Woody, if you're talking about what books are available to "rent from Kindle, you have to search on your Kindle--there they do have the complete list. I just downloaded the Mitch Albom book, "Five People you Meet in Heaven." It's a great perk!</p>

<p>Thanks dg, but...where on my Kindle? I saw the graphic with about 30 or book covers but I 'm talking about the whole list...I never saw a link to it...</p>

<p>Go to "menu"; then "shop in Kindle store". Turn the wireless on. At the top where it says "browse" the last item after "blogs" should be "see all"' click on that.</p>

<p>The next drop-down menu that comes up should have "Kindle Owners' Lending Library" as the last option. I am already a Prime member, so I don't know if this shows up if you are not one--but hope this works for you. If not, call Kindle support--they have been very helpful to me in walking me through things (and not making fun of me!) when I couldn't figure it out on my own.</p>