American Philosophical Society Elects New Members (news item)

<p>Members</a> Elected April 29, 2011 | American Philosophical Society</p>

<p>American</a> Philosophical Society Home</p>

<p>The Philadelphia-based American Philosophical Society, founded by Benjamin Franklin in 1743, is the country's oldest learned society. The society engages leading scholars, scientists and professionals in opportunities for multidisciplinary, intellectual fellowship, and it supports research, discovery and education through grants, lectures, publications, prizes and exhibitions.</p>

<p>“Early members included George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, James Madison, and John Marshall. </p>

<p>“Today the Society has 1,038 elected members. Since 1900, more than 260 members have received the Nobel Prize. </p>

<hr>

<p>This year, 37 new U.S. members were elected to the Society and Princeton led the nation with four (plus Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan adding a fifth). Berkeley, Harvard and Yale followed with three each and Stanford, UC Davis and the U. of Chicago had two each.</p>

<p>Top University Affiliations of New Society Members
(U.S. only)</p>

<p>4---Princeton
3---Berkeley, Harvard, Yale
2---Stanford, UC Davis, U. of Chicago
1---Brown, Caltech, Indiana U., JHU, UC Irvine & UCSD</p>

<hr>

<p>American Philosophical Society Members
(Leading National Institutions)</p>

<p>161---Harvard</p>

<p>91----Princeton</p>

<p>72----Stanford
64----Berkeley</p>

<p>53----Columbia
49----Penn
48----U. of Chicago
47----Yale</p>

<p>Princeton has a faculty that is less than half the size of Harvard's or Stanford's and about 2/3's the size of Berkeley's, making its numbers even more impressive.</p>

<p>Aren't those cumulative? In other words, those numbers are not for those currently on faculty. I think Stanford has only 45 currently on faculty, so the rest are historical.</p>

<p>Excellent. :)</p>

<p>Phantasmagoric, yes, these are accumulated figures. If you look just at those who are still alive, Princeton comes much closer to Harvard, Penn drops a bit and NYU rises to match Penn and Yale.</p>

(Leading National Institutions--living members only)</p>

<p>96---Harvard</p>

<p>67---Princeton</p>

<p>45---Stanford
38---Berkeley
31---Columbia
27---U. of Chicago
24---NYU, Penn, Yale</p>

<p>If these numbers were presented as percentage of faculty, Princeton would be at the top of the list with the next three in this order:</p>

as Percentage of Full-Time Faculty
(Leading National Institutions--living members only)</p>

<p>8.0%---Princeton</p>

<p>5.8%---Harvard</p>

<p>2.4%---Berkeley, Stanford</p>

<hr>

<p>Here is a link to a story about Princeton's new members for this year:</p>

<p>Princeton</a> University - FACULTY AWARD: Four elected to American Philosophical Society</p>

<p>No, I don't mean those that are still alive, which includes those who are emeritus. I mean those who are currently serving on the faculty (so excluding those who are emeritus or who have left for another university). Stanford has 45 who are currently serving on the faculty.</p>

<p>Also, Stanford has around 1,900 faculty members, and Princeton has around 1,200, so the size comparison depends on how you calculate part-time or FTE. Of course, Stanford's figure also includes medical center faculty; without them, there are about 1,100 faculty (who are part of the Academic Council).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Phanta, this seems to bother you. The two numbers you cite are the full-time faculty numbers and medical center faculty are often elected to the American Philosophical Society. One of Stanford's two winners this year is from its School of Medicine.</p>

<p>^ it doesn't bother me, I'm just pointing out where your facts were off.</p>

<p>And again, how many of those APS recipients are currently on Princeton's faculty? That's the question.</p>

<p>

Sorry Phanta, I don't see that any of my numbers or facts have been incorrect. All of these counts come directly from the APS website. All universities count emeritus professors as faculty members as long as they are still alive. This includes Stanford. However, to please you, here are the same counts, omitting the emeritus professors. The result of this is that Princeton moves a little closer to Harvard in absolute numbers, there is a grouping in the twenties of four schools (Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia and NYU), Yale and the University of Chicago are tied farther back and Penn drops down to 11. </p>

(Leading National Institutions--living members only--omitting emeritus professors)</p>

<p>66---Harvard</p>

<p>40---Princeton</p>

<p>27---Stanford
25---Berkeley
22---Columbia
20---NYU</p>

<p>16---U. of Chicago, Yale
11---Penn</p>

<p>I believe you'll find that the figure you quoted and that is reported by Stanford includes all the emeritus professors. If you would like to parse these numbers in a different way, please feel free. I may have made some minor errors in addition but I believe these are correct.</p>

<p>^ when I said "facts," I meant overall faculty counts and size comparison.</p>