Another 'should I retake that class?' thread.

<p>So I took orgo this year and got a B first semester and A second semester. My overall GPA is 3.7 (also B in calc II, all others are As).
If I do choose to retake that first semester class, and get an A, which I think I definitely can, my GPA will go up to 3.88.
Is it worth it?
I still don't have a list of colleges that I'd like to transfer to, but I know that a higher GPA should help me.
Thanks.</p>

<p>I'd guess that retaking a class that you got a B in, instead of learning new material, would hurt you more admissions-wise than the GPA boost would help you. I could be wrong, but I think it would come off as not challenging yourself and trying to get an easy A.</p>

<p>Not worth it. If your goal is to transfer you need to show that you're challenging yourself WHILE getting good grades (B's included). Your B is fine, they will realize that orgo is difficult, and the fact that you got an A the next semester will look fantastic. Take challenging classes next semester to have a much better shot at getting to where you want to go.</p>

<p>Also, I would consider the difference in GPA between 3.7 and 3.88 to be similar to the difference of ~100 points on the SAT (above the "competent" threshold anyway): present, but not enough to raise the concerns of an adcom because the student has shown that he or she is competent.</p>

<p>Gotcha. Thanks so much for your opinions!</p>