Another winter boot thread

<p>I've sorted through all the old threads about winter boots and have come to the conclusion that uggs are not the way to go for a variety of reasons, including the fact that they are 'ugg'ly. But what to get? My d will not have to deal with snow as much as rain, ice and a lot of hills. I'd like to surprise her with a new pair of boots when she comes home for fall break....and usually I can nail it as far as style goes and what she'll wear. But I'm at a loss on this one. I have met my fashion match.</p>

<p>So my fellow CC parents: What is flat, waterproof, has good traction and is cute all over?</p>

<p>One person's idea of cute being another person's idea of ugly, I won't make recommendations. If you google "waterproof boots" it will bring up many sites. Shoebuy.com seems to have a large selection.</p>

<p>oh marite...that I know. I've searched shoes.com and zappos.com for hours. I'd like to know what college kids are actually wearing. (I may need to post this on a nonparent forum as well.)</p>

<p>I doubt that college kids will turn their attention to boots until much later in the year. Tomorrow, the temperature is supposed to be in the 80s in the Boston area.</p>

<p>My daughter has Uggs and loves them, but she ordered her rain boots from somewhere in England (and they are cool of course).</p>

<p>Do not surprise her with boots. It's a waste of money. Most kids never, ever wear winter boots. No matter how much snow, how much ice, how many hills. Ski boots -- yes. Winter boots -- no.</p>

<p>My daughter has a pair of rainboots she ordered from Delia's, I believe. They have Julius the Monkey on them and are very cute. She does wear them frequently because her campus has poor drainage and heavy rains from time to time. </p>

<p>Her snow boots came from Land's End and are just lace-up, practical ones in tan and navy. They rarely get used simply because it rarely to never snows on her campus. (but she has them - just in case.....)</p>

<p>My son got the Lands End lace up ones and says he uses them. They look like running shoes in off colors. But I noticed all the lasses this summer wearing mostly flip flops! Wonder how long that lasts.....</p>

<p>I'd say that the Lands End or LL Bean rain boots or winter boots are the way to go since they are pretty utilitarian. Not super stylish, but not really ugly..they just do their job. (& should wear well)</p>

<p>Thank you for all the suggestions! I do think I need to get her something that will keep her feet dry. During the tropical storm, she was amazed at how much water she had to wade through on the Chapel Hill campus. Complained of being drenched for days. And I understand CH is more of a wet winter location than a snowy winter one.</p>

<p>D took the plunge and purchased Merrell's Spirit Tibet winter/snow boot. She went for the high cut. We both thought it was pretty stylish for a good winter boot. They were not inexpensive so I hope she does wear them. She hates being cold so I think she'll be motivated in the January weather in Wisconsin.</p>

<p>All the kids at my son's school (NH) seem to wear flip flops or decrepit athletic shoes year round.</p>

<p>My D wore her Doc Martens s***kicker boots all last year AND all summer (including two weeks in Europe)--and just bought herself another pair.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dmusastore.com/catalog/w-sfty1c57z.jpg%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.dmusastore.com/catalog/w-sfty1c57z.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>There's no accounting for tastes.</p>

<p>Wellies! I love my wellies. Lined with the polarfleece liners you can get for them, they're really pretty warm, they're totally waterproof, and seem to be making a comeback.</p>

<p>That said, not all ugg boots are the style that makes you look like you have dinosaur feet- I have a pair with rubber soles and double stiched uppers that are still as comfy inside but more utilitarian outside. Let me see if I can find a link...however, uggs are never going to be the most waterproof boots, even when sprayed.</p>

<p>My many years of winters in Madison, Chicago, and NJ taught me deep wet slush was much more of a hazard than snow. Most schools that get snow get the paths open very quickly--same for the city streets. What you do get are large snowbanks with little low points where you cross--and might step into a foot of ice water if the weather is warmer. So waterproof and high can help--or you just learn to be careful and wear tennies (with better socks in winter) all year as I did 99% of the time.</p>

<p>My mom MADE me get some snow boots last year. I've lived in NC all my life and still go to school here, but she claims it snows more in the Piedmont area than at home so I need snow boots...to appease her, I got some cheap ones off Amazon, these</a> Columbia ones. No, they're not pretty but they're fine considering I won't wear them a lot.</p>

<p>I'm not a fan of the rain boot look, so I usually just wear Crocs or Chacos when it rains - yeah, my feet get wet but it's not the end of the world because those shoes are supposed to get wet.</p>

<p>My daughter has been talking about trying on these very stylish rain boots at Target, and when it comes to fashion, she does her research. Hopefully, they're as practical as they look. <a href="http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=in_br_browse-box/602-4358811-6904603?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13913321%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=in_br_browse-box/602-4358811-6904603?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13913321&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>oh those rainboots are cute nyumom! Love the black with pink lining and navy with light blue (?) lining.</p>

<p>FWIW, I made my D get SOMETHING her freshman year. I literally picked out some Merrells - tried to go for the cutest waterproof ones. I wear her size so I shopped for them, had the store hold them and she swung by, tried them on and took them. I held my breath but - lo and behold - she did wear them. They didn't look too bad and I think she kind of liked having a warm, waterproof pair. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>About the rainboots:</p>

<p>They're fine for dealing only with rain. Rubber, however, can make your feet feel really cold in cold weather (and hot and clammy in hot weather). For use as snow boots (in other words, cold weather country), a liner is important.</p>