Any ideas on how to save my scrawny behind?

<p>As you may be aware, I got rejected/waitlisted from my top nine choices, and if I don't get off the wailist at University of Chicago, I'll be faced with some limited options. I know I'm of the caliber talent for any school, anywhere, and I freely admit that the reason I didn't get into the elite schools is my own fault. I didn't work hard enough in high school and I didn't really pursue anything outside of school with a passion (although I did devote a significant amount of time to various messageboards centered around political discussion). From where I'm sitting, what would be your advice as the best way to attempt to redeem myself a bit. Should I attend the school I got into (BU), and attempt to transfer after a year? If so, what should I be doing during that year to make myself the most attractive transfer candidate possible? If not, should I take a year off and do something else? If so, what would I do, what internships/jobs/programs would demonstrate a further talent, commitment and strength than first came across in my application? I looked up internships at the senate and house of reps offices, but they're all for current undergrads or graduate students. Would a year of prep school be an option, if so, how would I go about looking into that?</p>

<p>For the record my stats are: 780M, 770V, 800IIC, 780 Physics, 770 Bio, 720 Writing, 660 Chemistry, 5 AP European History, 5 AP United States History, 3.83 weighted GPA (somewhere in the low to middle teens out of 201 students in terms of class rank), exceptional letter of reccomendation from my history teacher. Extra curriculars, 1 year soccer, two years baseball, 1 year swimming (baseball and swimming were cut short due to shoulder injury), 1 year economics team, 2 years math team, previously mentioned political discussion, wrote several op-eds for school newspaper. Those are the "leigitimate" extra curriculars. Beyond those I have smatterings of participation in debate, film club, guitar, diving (again mitigated by shoulder).</p>

<p>I know my weakness is in the fact that I haven't "done" much (inside of school or out). What I'm capable of intellectually is very strong, and should be visible in my test scores. What would you advise as the best possible way to rectify my deficiency in terms of demonstrating my ability to work towards things? Any advise would be appreciated.</p>

<p>BU is a great school. I would advise you to take advantage of the opportunity you have. If you decide to go, go in with an open mind and heart. You may love it. If you're a Democrat, Boston will offer you a ton of opportunities politically. The thing about attending the school if you're not totally sure about it is that you might not enjoy it as much as you would have otherwise. I would recommend doing some soul-searching before you send in your commitment and money. If you can go in with an open mind I would say go and enjoy your new school. Make sure you get excited about it over the summer. Remember, by Halloween most freshmen would tell you that the school they're at was their first choice. Give yourself a chance to fall in love with your new school if you decide to go there next year. I wish you the best of luck in your decision, and give yourself a chance at BU if you decide to go, it is a great school.</p>

<p>"If you're a Democrat, Boston will offer you a ton of opportunities politically."</p>

<p>::points below name:: I live here. I was pretty much looking to get out of Boston. Harvard would've been the only real compelling reason to stay, and even at that I might've chosen another school over Harvard. Beyond the possibility of Harvard, I was definitely looking to head elsewheres. My brother goes to Tufts and I didn't even apply because it was too close to home.</p>

<p>I know what you mean, I'm from NH and I'm moving to Los Angeles next year to go to USC. BU might still be worth considering, you could end up loving it.</p>

<p>I would honestly make Chicago aware of how much you want to go there, but otherwise you are the ideal transfer candidate. Transferring is kind of cool (I did it) and you are an ideal candidate. Get semi-involved at BU and get a tip top GPA (all it takes is one 4.0 the first semester) then you are likely in at a couple of the non HYP Ivies (especially Cornell - easiest to get into) plus a bunch of others. I would go to BU for a year, make cool friends and get to Boston as a college student (very different than high school), then bust out. I went to Columbia my first year and transferred to Darmouth - it was great and totally a seamless and amazing decision.</p>

<p>What a skewed forum we're posting in, when a student with your fine profile has to apologize for being lazy. Can I just say that I think you should be proud of your accomplishments thus far? You sound like a student who would be a credit to any college, and I'm sorry that admissions worked out so poorly for you this year.</p>

<p>I think you've got a great attitude and I think you should jump into BU with both feet, as you're planning. I think you can present yourself as a great transfer candidate in a semester or two. Who knows, maybe you'll love it so much you won't want to transfer. If so, a term or year at another campus (via an exchange program) or study abroad may help you fulfill the longing to spend time outside of Boston.</p>

<p>I suggest that you go to BU and take full advantage of the course and EC opportunities. BU is an excellent college and it and Boston offer wonderful opportunities that are in your interests.</p>

<p>If you decide to transfer, you should be in good shape. However, you may very well find out that BU is a great place for you to attend college and to pursue your interests. Since Boston is a state capital, I think it offers more opportunities for you than Chicago would.</p>

<p>I agree...BU is an amazing school. The friends I have attending there all love it. Take advantage of the opportunity. If you don't like it, you do make an excellent transfer candidate bc of your stats. And make sure you keep in touch with UoChicago admissions to let them know you want off the wait list.</p>

<p>going to an elistist school is ur dream?
then BU is best for you, congrats.... :)</p>

<p>admission this year is insane, dont blame it on urself.</p>

<p>however, did u apply for any great school ranked between 20-30? berkeley? UCLA? michigan? Georgetown? tufts? wake forest? NO? then that is a BIG mistake, since u would get in anyone of these schools above. if YES, do u wanna consider these schools first?</p>

<p>Admissions is a mess this year. I have several friends who I thought were top candidates for Ivies and other great schools, but they were all rejected or denied admission. One of my good friends is going to BU, after getting rejected from HYP plus many other schools (although, he got a full tuition merit scholarship at BU). Some of my other friends have it worse...</p>

<p>But, as everyone said, you really are the ideal candidate. Your test scores are stellar, and if you work hard in your first year at BU, you could transfer to any school you wanted. You'll probably like BU, although if you're sick of Boston, I can see how you might want to transfer. Good luck.</p>

<p>I concur - the BU route is much better than prep school. I would be nervous of the gap year because then you have to apply all over again to multiple places - and next year will be more competitive than this. </p>

<p>Have you sent Chicago any additional stuff to get off the waitlist?</p>

<p>"however, did u apply for any great school ranked between 20-30? berkeley? UCLA? michigan? Georgetown? tufts? wake forest? NO? then that is a BIG mistake, since u would get in anyone of these schools above. if YES, do u wanna consider these schools first?"</p>

<p>I applied to Georgetown and UVA, didn't get into either</p>

<p>UVA is pretty particular about GPA. Georgetown, I would guess, worried about lack of passion.</p>

<p>You belong at UChicago - you will have to work hard enough to respect them. This is also a school that you should be able to write yourself into. You're a good writer, and you've got a very strong personality that comes through. If you send additional information, you've got to be really careful not to come across as arrogant. Have an adult proof any additional materials that you send for tone: you may be broadcasting differently than you think.</p>

<p>U. Chicago's waitlist is hard to get off of.</p>

<p>mainly, realistically, choose BU unless miracle happens</p>

<p>do whatever to make the miracle happen!</p>

<p>it seems like u r one of teh 300 kids with SAT above 1500 but rejected by UVA</p>

<p>I really think you should go to BU and give it your all. Soon you can be measured by new criteria and you don't have to spend time any more feeling like you "shoulda" done things differently in high school. That is over, and sometimes timing rules choices. Get some forward momentum, make friends, don't diss BU while there, no matter how briefly...your classmates chose it.
Embrace your intellectual gifts and also get busy socially at BU. Join something and contribute. Many schools would be thrilled to take a transfer student with your profile next year, and I have to agree...you should take a hard look at schools that are not quite as picky as List number one, while pursuing Chicago or your best options on current waitlists. Don't forget that in four more years, you will be another person with another set of paths to choose between, so make the first semester at BU count in your favor no matter what.
best wishes of course!</p>

<p>Defintely go to BU. My S is a Freshman there and chose it over Tufts and a few other more selective schools that accepted him. He loves it. Take the Honors courses, live in Honors housing if you are so inclined, do well. Choose challenging courses and interact with students like those in the University Professors and Honors Programs. If you want to transfer after Freshman year, do so, but you may surprise yourself and decide to stay.</p>

<p>I realize staying in Boston is not ideal for a Bostonian but you'll be interacting with students from around the world. Our s will study abroad this summer and spend a few days in other countries visiting BU students that are home for the summer. Stay open minded. Be a Boston ambassador and show the other students how to manage their way around the city. Make a committment to make the best of this experience and see where the ride takes you. </p>

<p>Good luck and keep us posted.</p>