Any Shutterfly-ers out there?

I started a Mixbook last night just based on it being mentioned here. Still have some work to do. At first I did automatic pic fill but when it did that lots of the pics got chopped off - that’s not helpful!

Anyone want to share tips/tricks/shortcuts with Mixbook? Or share what finish you got - glossy vs. not glossy.

1 Like

I definitely don’t use auto fill. My books take a lot of time. My last one took about 6 hours.

My books are vacation books, so I first find a theme that best matches our trip. Then I review all my pictures and select the best ones that I might use and stick them in a folder. Then I import a days worth into mixbook. I see how many pictures I want to put onto 2 pages and then select a layout based on that number of pictures that best for the rotation of the photos. However, I usually have to size, move, and sometimes add more photo boxes.

I also now always add a text box about what I remember from the day, especially weird humorous encounters. Not all of my photos are pretty landscapes and posed family shots. I like lots of action shots - like our group hiking from behind. And also get things like pretty landscaped flower boxes. I even tend to put in things like our hotel and us getting off the shuttle bus or sitting miserably in an airport after the fifth delay. I also add the stickers and cute captions. I thought Shutterfly had more stickers to choose from, but the ones in mixbook worked great with my latest book. And it was easy to import a couple of my own.

I got the non glossy version and I sized it up. I thought it would be the same size as my Shutterfly, but it’s bigger. It must be 11x14 vs 8.5x14. But I love it. The quality of the book feels great.

4 Likes

Great hints! It’s good that you add text. My husband, who like Blurb (works well with his Lightroom photo app), made the first book or two without text. With my encouragement, he has started added text. That is helpful for our memory down the road but also as we show the photo books to friends.

Same here. My first books in 2013-2014 I didn’t use text. It’s just not the same. They are still nice, but it’s nice to have the memories attached to the photos.

I also used to have the kids create their own. It was interesting to see what pictures they chose to use and remember vs me.

My husband does lovely front and backcovers. When he opts for hardcover the spine title is very helpful (we store on bookshelf)… three examples:

6 Likes

First time I’ve seen this post, but I agree Shutterfly ruined a good thing. We called to complain and the customer service rep actually told us to write a formal complaints. Of course, they have all my pics now and it’s hard to switch.

1 Like