Any t-14 schools known for placing 'considerable' weight for upwards GPA trend?

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>As the title reads, I was wondering if any of the top schools do this? I'm a graduating with a double major in Joint Math/Econ and Psychology. My LSAC GPA will be a 3.69/3.70 after I'm done with summer classes (left easy GEs for last). This isn't the greatest, but my unweighted GPA in the last 2 years of college is above a 3.9 (immaturely, in my first 4 quarters of college, I partied my way into a 2.7).</p>

<p>Seeing as though I will have below median (albeit within the interquartile range for most non HYS schools), I will have to do exceptionally well on the LSAT. I took a practice LSAT from Kaplan (I know, but it was free) without any knowledge of what sections were even on the exam, and got a 165. I'm hoping it's somewhat diagnostic and not merely a fluke since I've taken a fair share of logical and numerical reasoning courses before sitting in for that practice exam. I have no idea what my real LSAT score will be, but I am taking at least a couple years off to work and pay off my undergrad loans, so I should have plenty of time to go through old LSATs and work off those.</p>

<p>Also, just until recently (mainly due to my horrible start in undergrad), I have not considered law as an option. I've actually been working quite extensively in microeconomic theory/decision-making labs and in various public health research centers to gain research experience, since I wanted to get involved in health policy research in graduate school. It wasn't until I took an economic law graduate course that I noticed that my academic interests could actually mesh well in the realm of law (and by that time, my GPA had recovered considerably). I began to do some research in law journals dealing with systematic discrepancies in health care, public policy, etc., and really began to feel like this may be as good, if not better, a fit with my future professional goals.</p>

<p>Recap:</p>

<p>
[quote]

Graduating senior in well-respected public U
Double Major in Joint/Math Econ and Psych (honors theses in both majors)
LSAC GPA: 3.70~ (last 2 years GPA: 3.9+ unweighted)
LSAT: not taken (pLSAT: 165 with no prep)
Soft Factors: extensive empirical and experimental research experience with multiple poster presentations, a paper presentation, and a second-author publication in a 'B' rank journal; lived below poverty level until I was 13; father passed away last year and left family finances in shambles; have been working 20-30 hours/week since sophomore year in college; not a URM, but come from Japanese-Peruvian heritage, and lived in Peru for 2 years when I was still a toddler.
LORs: faculty advisors who I've done research and published with
Law work experience: None

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Anyway, before really reading the resources in this forum, I was under the misconception that tier-1 schools (outside the top-14) were generally secured in terms of career prospect, but I guess that isn't the case. I don't believe the hard mantra that many here seem to carry with 't-14 or nothing', but I do plan to attend the best school that admits me, even if they fall outside that prestigious group.</p>

<p>Interestingly enough, before I get everyone's opinion, I've been almost blown away by Emory's LS since they do offer a joint MPH degree through Rollin's SPH, and have strong ties to the CDC and other NGOs.</p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone here could give me pointers in where to apply (without just throwing away application fees/money)? Since I'm mainly looking at working in the public sector, I don't know how naive I'm being for going into an expensive professional program with the hopes of being able to (eventually) recoup my debt. If loan forgiveness applies to policy-oriented lawyers and not just public defenders, then I'll be amazed and a lot more lax. </p>

<p>Sorry for the long-winded post. For those of you who read sakky's replies, this should be no problem for you!</p>

<p>Thank you in advance to anyone who replies to this thread.</p>

<p>ok- JMO and I'm a parent--
if your overall LSAC gpa is 3.69, it shouldn't keep you out of a T-14 admission
i'm sure your transcripts will show the obvious upward trend</p>

<p>you might want to craft a strong personal statement about finding yourself and your new found interest in law based on the experience of taking the grad. economics course and your interests in public health policy and law. And also reiterate that your grades vastly improved once you found direction. (you get the point)</p>

<p>but the most important factor is going to be your LSAT score.<br>
As 165 was your first practice score- my hunch is you are able to score quite a few points higher. Soooo----
IMO- 170 LSAT and 3.69 will get you into a few T-14's
165 LSAT and 3.69 even with upward trend might not.
good luck</p>

<p>also fyi- there may be other joint programs that combine a JD with your interest in public health policy. I believe U Penn has a joint JD/MPH program.</p>

<p>before you go crazy investigating all these programs, get your LSAT score as that might help you target appropriate schools.</p>

<p>Thank you for the helpful advice! I know I shouldn't look at programs prematurely, but it's hard knowing that I'll be taking the LSAT pretty far off into the future. I don't want to take it more than once, so I will probably sign up when I'm scoring 172+ on the old practice tests, just to give myself some breathing room for the real thing.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip on UPenn, too.</p>

<p>lmao are you serious? a 3.6 is good</p>