Any tips on the essay?

Hey, just wanted to know if therye are anythings I should know before writing up my essay and if there are any tips you guys have for me just lmk!!

Idk. I haven’t even started mine yet. I would say, I feel that you need to be clear on what type of application you’re going for, such as athletic, English related, intellectual, mathematical, etc..

That kind of helps me when I’m writing, essays and especially with these that mostly depend on your view

1 Like

Figure out what the things are you want the AO to know and use all your essay prompts to cover them.

Show, don’t tell.

Let your personality come through. This isn’t about big words; it’s the real estate you’ve been given to add yourself, not your stats, to your application.

Make sure you have proofread it for spelling and grammar.

3 Likes

This whole post was all good advice but I just wanted to underscore this point. I have consistently heard, and in some sense saw with my D30, that kids who write essays in which they seem to have a strong, positive, sense of self really stand out to these schools. Too much attempt to conform to online advice, or even what well-intentioned parents might suggest, can end up basically wasting this opportunity.

Which can mean a lot of different things, so do what makes sense for you. But whoever you are, try to unapologetically represent that into your essays.

2 Likes