Anybody bought a dishwasher in the past 2 years that they LOVE?

<p>Our dishwasher is kaput. I managed to eke out 3 extra months of use by using only the pots and pans cycle, but it has finally gasped its last breath. I'm looking for a high-end (silver faced) dishwasher with a heat dry option, quiet and generally awesome at washing dishes. My other kitchen appliances are Viking, so while I don't need a Viking dishwasher, I need something at that grade.</p>

<p>Any suggestions? Also, anybody have suggestions as to the best place to buy said dishwasher?</p>

<p>I have a Miele and love it. Actually, I have two, as we put in two during our reno a couple of years ago. They do a great job and they are super quiet.</p>

<p>Ditto on the Miele. We recently moved to a new house and replaced a Bosch with the same Miele I had in the old house.</p>

<p>We bought a Bosch…and we love it. The dishes are spotless, and the only way to know it is running is the light beam that shines on the floor to indicate it is operating.</p>

<p>I bought it largely due to the feedback on a thread in this forum about dishwashers (I bought mine in December 2012). </p>

<p>My SIL has had the same Bosch as mine for about four years…and loves it.</p>

<p>HOWEVER…the Bosch does not have heat dry. the dishes, however, are dry as a bone when the whole cycle ends…something about the hot water temp used.</p>

<p>I would suggest buying your dishwasher from a local appliance dealer. Since you have some high end appliances, maybe start with a dealer that carries those lines and see what else they have.</p>

<p>We don’t have a built in dishwasher, but we have lived here since 1983 and have only bought one, since we brought one with us that we had when we rented. I think the first lasted for about 14 years, and the current one is also a Kenmore, probably about that age as well but seems to have had fewer problems. Of course H & I are better about rinsing off dishes before loading it than the kids were.</p>

<p>I have a slot in the cupboards where it goes & being that it is portable, it makes it easy for H to work on if necessary. Its very quiet, however, obviously you cant use the faucet when it is hooked up. </p>

<p>It has heat dry- also has an extra high setting to sterilize dishes ( if someone is ill for instance), but otherwise I find the fewer doodads, the longer they run( & the cheaper they cost)</p>

<p>Not that this helps someone who is on a Viking budget- but someone else might find it helpful.
;)</p>

<p>Emerald…do they still make portable dishwashers?</p>

<p>We just installed a Bosch high end dishwasher that I absolutely love, which replaced a Maytag dishwasher (3 yrs old) which I absolutely hated. They cost exactly the same.</p>

<p>The Bosch is very quiet, I can hardly hear it running. It does not have a heated dry. Something about the stainless interior and hot water act together to dry the dishes. In our journey to find a new dishwasher, we noticed that most manufacturers are going to this new method to dry dishes. We were told not to open the door to allow the dishes to air dry before the cycle ends, because then you will have spots on the dishes. This is not a problem for us.</p>

<p>We chose the best high end model that was available in black. The truly high end models are only made in SS (grrrrrr!) We found what we wanted online- none of the appliance stores had high end models on the floor. Best Buy was having a fantastic sale on Bosch so we asked them if they could get this model. They did and gave us the sale price. I would not have been inclined to purchase from Best Buy, but our experience was stellar and I would purchase from them again. We bought the dishwasher sight unseen, and the online photos leave a lot to be desired, but it was what we imagined.</p>

<p>The very best part of the dishwasher is the third cutlery rack. I read about it on a thread here on CC, and when we saw it in a LG model at HHGregg, we knew we wanted it. The problem was, most companies only had it in SS models. That’s how we came around to Bosch. We removed the cutlery basket and only use the rack. It is much easier to load and unload. That is one feature we will never sacrifice in the future.</p>

<p>The dishes come out much cleaner than I have ever experienced in ANY dishwasher, but we are now using Finish tablets (Bosch recommended), and I don’t know how much they are impacting the process.</p>

<p>The racks have adjustable tines on rack one and rack two. This is another nonnegotiable feature that makes loading a dishwasher much easier.</p>

<p>The only thing I wish it had was an indicator light that the dishes are clean. Our last two dishwasher had this and it was a reminder to unload the dishes. But it’s not a deal breaker, and it doesn’t take much effort to check to see if my husband ran it overnight.</p>

<p>My daughter & her Bf also have a portable dishwasher. ( there are not a lot of choices- some are counter-top, ours is not as large as a built in, but we only need to run it every 3 or 4 days)
When they moved in together a few years ago, he was living in a studio several blocks from the new two bedroom that they rented. He has a little Subaru & didn’t want to rent a moving truck, so he pushed it down the street. ( not sure if he at least had a furniture dolly).
;)</p>

<p>Emerald- OK that is funny.</p>

<p>I thought it was hilarious- but they live in Portland- so nobody probably even noticed.</p>

<p>Miele–put one in a vacation home. Love it.</p>

<p>Mine is more than 5 years old, so model # etc won’t help…but: get the stainless interior if you can afford it. Get the resin (not coated metal) racks. My 6 year old DW still looks sparkling new inside because of these choices.</p>

<p>Emerald - That is a funny story. Reminds me of a piano that my Dad and brother moved from grandparents house down the block. </p>

<p>This is a useful thread. I absolutely LOVE my 20 year old dishwasher and have had it repaired a few times… but it’s even older than even our oldest car and won’t last forever. Many other readers also seek DW recommendations. PLEASE POST LINKS FOR BRAND/MODEL (or similar equivalent) IF POSSIBLE.</p>

<p>If you really want the inside scoop, go to Gardenweb Appliances section. You can get lost in DW talk for months… Miele is the favored brand for those that are willing to pay for it.</p>

<p>We’re ok with our top if the line Bosch, which we purchased from Sears about a year ago. So far haven’t had to repair it and it IS quiet and doesn’t useuch water. My friend swears by her top of the line Miele.</p>

<p>About 3 years ago my Kenmore fortunately broke totally which was great because it was a terrible dishwasher. I was set to buy a Bosch but found a Kitchenaid that had great features (stainless steel inside and resin racks). I looked at on-line reviews and it was a model that had been around for a while with consistent 4-5 star reviews. It’s a KUDS30IVWH. It’s not rated super quiet, but I don’t notice it much when it’s on while I am in the room.</p>

<p>Consumer Reports is also a great resource…</p>

<p>By resin racks, do you mean coated wire racks?</p>

<p>I second the kitchenaid. I loved ours so much that I bought the same model for our summer home. It has both a cutlery tray on top and a silverware basket that is easily removable. The middle rack is adjustable up and down to accommodate larger platters or stemware. It is super quiet too! The model is : KUDE60FX.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your replies! jshain, I did go on CR and surprisingly the highest rated dishwasher they have is a Kenmore, although the Miele and Bosch dishwashers people above have posted about are also rated very high. There is about a $400 price disparity between the Kenmore and the Miele, which definitely gives me pause (if what CR asserts is correct) they are comparable products. The research goes on :).</p>