Anyone get the follow up to US Census?

<p>We were selected for 3 follow ups. After a 1 hour visit and 2 half hour phone calls we are finally finished. I found it interesting that today's census supplement asked me to rate our opinion of corporations, media and public schools. They also asked how often we used the internet to share our political views and if we boycotted products for political reasons. </p>

<p>She never offered, but looking back I wonder if I had the option to skip the supplement.</p>

<p>This is not Census 2010. It may be the ongoing Census/DoC American Community Survey- which tracks all sorts of details, done quarterly, I believe. (?) Unfortunately, some are selected for follow-up verification and/or further questions.</p>

<p>Data are collected primarily by mail, with follow-ups by telephone and personal visit...The Department of Commerce has stated that those who receive a survey form are legally obligated to answer all the questions as accurately as possible. Those who decline to complete the survey may receive follow-up phone calls and/or visits to their homes from Census Bureau personnel. Section 221 of Title 13 U.S.C., makes it a misdemeanor to refuse or willfully neglect to complete to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers and imposes a fine of not more than $100. This fine was changed by the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 from $100 to not more than $5,000. The Census Bureau prefers to gain cooperation by convincing respondents of the importance of participation. To date, no person has ever been charged with a crime for refusing to answer the ACS. The Department of Commerce states that it is "not an enforcement agency." That's from wiki; you can likely get similar from Dept of Commerce.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, a pita to many. Sorry.</p>

<p>Wow... Since we got totally missed in the 1990 census I wonder if we are somehow legally liable somewhere down the road...</p>

<p>Wouldn't lose a nanosecond of sleep over being missed in any decennial census. They do the best they can to pin people down, then it's over. This^ is the ongoing survey that collects the data you often hear of in the media- "govt reported" info about households looking at major purchases or delaying them, sorts of employent, opinions and confidence levels, etc.</p>

<p>Just had a conversation about this today with a friend who works for the census bureau. Absolutely fascinating! And critically necessary for our understanding of the state of the nation.</p>