<p>We are hoping to take a family vacation this Christmas. S1 is now working full-time in a different city so his schedule is tight. To maximize our time we would leave 12/25 and return 1/1. We realize it will be cold (which we don’t mind) and are thinking about London, Paris, Barcelona or Lisbon.</p>
<p>Does anyone know if traveling on 12/25 and 1/1 will create a huge problem in regards to transportation to/from airport? Will cabs, etc. be unavailable? I have read conflicting things online about each of these cities so I thought I would check this knowledgeable crowd! Unfortunately, we can’t depart any earlier than the 25th but the January 1 return date may be flexible. </p>
<p>We have often traveled on 12/25 to Europe with our kids. We would get to our destination on 12/26. We were in Paris and London a few times. We didn’t have any problem in getting taxi to our hotel. The only problem we have encountered a few times was a lot of restaurants were close on 1/1, so you would need to plan ahead. We have spent many New Year’s Eve abroad, including 1999.</p>
<p>Barcelona will likely be the warmest. We didn’t have problems on those dates. The major grocery stores were closed but not the hotel’s pantry shop. Enjoy your trip! </p>
<p>I have been in London during the holiday season (right before Christmas) it is very nice - all decorated and looking its best. I would recommend it.</p>
<p>I think some shops might close on Xmas day and possibly boxing day(12/26). But I think if you stay at an American chain hotel, it should be ok. They may have train on boxing day but it’s maybe a Sunday service. My daughter just came back and was surprised something was closed on Sunday, not like USA. I was in Paris(12/31) to celebrate New Year but again we stayed in a hotel so there was food, we didn’t starve. </p>