Anyone want to give me suggestions?

<p>I haven't started looking at any colleges yet, and I just started caring about school these last two quarters (I got a 3.9 and 4.0 respectively). Unfortunately, since I had a bad first half and poor freshman year, I'll probably end up with a 3.6 (UW) GPA this year, and 3.4 overall. I'm thinking next year, I'll be able to maintain a 4.0 or close to it, weighted.</p>

<p>So by the end of Junior Year here are my projected Stats:
-10 Accelarated classes since 8th grade (Since I took HS classes in 8th grade it shows up on my transcript
-~3.5 UW GPA, 4.0+W
-5 AP Classes (World, US, Stat, Enviro and Lang)
-Will be taking another 5 senior year
-12 seasons of track
-Not many clubs
-2100 SAT/32 ACT</p>

<p>So what colleges should I be looking at. I'm interested in Engineering, and I don't want the total cost of whatever colleges I'm applying to to be much over 30k (including room and board). I am from NY, and I strongly dislike the Buffalo campus, and I don't want to go to Stonybrook since it's only 10 minutes from my house (I'm looking for affordable OOS colleges).</p>

<p>So any suggestions?</p>

<p>Sparknotes:
-<30k tuition + room and board (can be higher)
-engineering
-3.5 UW GPA
-10 APs by graduation
-10 Accelarated classes
-upward trend
-2100 SAT / 32 ACT
-12 seasons track/xc
-not many clubs
-prefer party school / school that has a nice town
-would also prefer a college by the beach/mountains/lake/etc since I am pretty outdoorsy</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Do you qualify for financial aid?
I;m thinking you might like UMiami and UT-Austin, maybe UF and ASU as well?</p>

<p>I wouldn't think so, but thanks a lot for your suggestions. My parents probably make around 150k a year combined, but they had to send my 3 brothers and sisters to college, and they tend to be little bit frivolous with their money so they can't shell out anything like 50k for college.</p>

<p>I was thinking Austin and UF, but I'm pretty sure I would get rejected from Florida.</p>

<p>^</p>

<p>What don't you like about Buffalo's campus?
(I live on LI about 45min from Stony and Don't want to go there for the same reason so applying to Buffalo...) </p>

<p>And I wouldn't give up on Florida. My sister got in with a small scholarship (A couple thousand. Not a big dent in the OOS tuition, but we took it...) with similar stats to yours.</p>

<p>I know I wrote I strongly dislike the campus, but I actually don't hate the campus that much, the part I hate is that I have six different cousins going there, and I really would rather not having to deal with them. </p>

<p>The campus itself is alright, it seems a little depressed though, and the weather isn't for everybody.</p>

<p>OOS, VaTech would run you just about $30K/yr including tuition, all fees, and room and board, give or take 1 or 2K. Some merit money is also a possibility. It's not near the ocean but sure is near lots of beautiful mountains, and reputedly a good party place (though in a very small town).
And if you don't like Buffalo, or Stony Brook, what about Binghamton? Smaller and less well-known than the others for engineering but still good programs. How well you'd like the campus is a matter of taste but the outdoors is reasonably accessible from there.</p>

<p>University of Delaware
University of Maryland</p>

<p>Thanks a lot guys, out of curiosity, anyone know any good engineering schools by a major city (not NY since I already live there half the year) that I could get into?</p>

<p>Georgia Tech fits (it's in Atlanta), and I think you could get in there, but it's considerably more expensive than you want--COA is 36k.</p>

<p>ETA: re: budget, Cal Poly SLO might fit. <a href="http://www.ess.calpoly.edu/_finaid/coa1011.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ess.calpoly.edu/_finaid/coa1011.htm&lt;/a> Someone who knows more about the school can tell me whether I'm reading those numbers right. I have no clue what your admissions chances are.</p>

<p>Maybe UPitt. I don't think it is that bad a price either.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions, does anybody know of any schools that might be safety like for me, all the schools mentioned I am borderline for.</p>

<p>From what i searched i liked these suggestions/schools:
CAL POLY SLO
WISCONSIN-MADISON
UT-AUSTIN
UF
VA TECH
UPITT</p>

<p>So any safeties/similar schools?</p>

<p>Penn State - University Park?<br>
<a href="http://admissions.psu.edu/info/counselors/bubble_chart06.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://admissions.psu.edu/info/counselors/bubble_chart06.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>OP isn't going to be able to afford Penn State. They don't really give out merit, either.</p>

<p>For safeties, a lot of kids like Auburn and Alabama. I think your best bet is to do well on the PSAT next fall, qualify for NMSF (last year the cutoff in New York was 218--judging by your SAT score you're certainly capable of scoring that high), and apply to schools that give out big awards for NMF as safeties.</p>

<p>ETA: with your scores, you could go to Alabama tuition-free. <a href="http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Look at NC State for a match/safety. Good engineering program and it is located in a real city (Raleigh).</p>

<p>I agree that Penn State would not be a financial safety. It does meet many of the OP's other criteria:</p>

<p>Sparknotes:
-<30k tuition + room and board (can be higher) (Will be higher than $30,000)
-engineering (yes, highly rated)
-prefer party school / school that has a nice town (yes to party school, State College, PA is also a great college town)
-would also prefer a college by the beach/mountains/lake/etc since I am pretty outdoorsy (Happy Valley)</p>

<p>It's also a reasonable distance from New York.</p>

<p>Later posts by the OP asked for schools near a major city. That Penn State is not (NY, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are 3 -4 hours away).</p>

<p>Penn</a> State - Office of Student Aid</p>

<p>Now that I look at it, the Penn State branch campuses are <30k. The OP could always go to one of them and transfer after two years--that would help to cut costs.</p>

<p>ETA: OP, for a safety, how about New Mexico Tech? It's better for certain types of engineering than others, though.</p>

<p>If the OP gets into Schreyer Honors College at Penn State-UP, there's a $3,500 scholarship. Not much but it brings the cost closer to $30,000 before other scholarships or FA. The OP's numbers are close for Schreyer.</p>

<p>Other possibilities:</p>

<p>Clemson (good engineering, near lakes and mountains, Atlanta or Charlotte within 2 hours) </p>

<p>Ohio U would be a decent safety with lots of merit aid.</p>

<p>Colorado has decent engineering, Boulder is a nice college town and is near Denver. Can't speak to merit aid.</p>

<p>Georgia Tech previously mentioned would definitely fail the party school criteria.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Georgia Tech previously mentioned would definitely fail the party school criteria.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I know Tech kids. You would be surprised.</p>

<p>Maybe not for the OP, though, no. I assume he wants to do well in his engineering courses.</p>

<p>Clemson!!</p>

<p>If you have any questions about Clemson, let me know!!</p>