Anyone working this summer?

Rising senior — going to work min wage crew member at McDonald’s, on top of remote research at a medical school, volunteer at a nursing home, college visits, and working on essays/supp’s.

Any of u guys planning to work ? Now, I understand this is college confidential — many of y’all are not in dire need of $$$ and this is not the '70s, but wanted to see who else is up for some money.

My S (a college freshman) waited too late in the spring to seek an internship. Then waited too long after coming home for the summer to try to find any p/t job related to his major. Now he’s planning to join several home-from-college HS classmates who are working at a local car wash. One guy got the job, recruited another, then another and so on. They make $300-$450/wk and the idea of mindless work splashing around in 90-degree sunshine appeals to him.

And oh yeah, he’ll need every dime he makes.

My kid is working - either on a garbage truck or working for a power washing business - his goal is to be outside as much as possible.

My entering college freshman plans to work as many hours as possible. Grandma lives in a vacation area where they desperately need workers, so the pay is decent. He may also try to do a retrospective study based on ED records.

1 Like

Rising HS sophomore - I’m working with some friends at a local pizza restaurant, and I’m planning on tutoring a lot (elementary to early middle school kids). I also volunteer at a foster care group-home with an organization that I’ll be on the junior board for this summer.

2 Likes

My S is going to work this summer retail, restaurant or hotel. Work experience in a “regular job” is so valuable and it’s great to get off screens, working with a team and the public. He put in a lot of volunteer hours during HS and is looking forward to a paycheck. I believe it will help you to have McDonalds on your college app, along with the other activities you listed. A lot of people my generation (X) worked during HS.

2 Likes

My daughter is applying for retail positions near her college once her quarter ends on Friday. Hopefully next year, when the university opens up, she can apply for on-campus jobs.

Hi, Im a rising Sophomore and would like to know how to get involved with foster care children. Any guidance is appreciated.

I’m a rising junior working at a store full time. Definitely exhausting, but it’s fun working with my friends. I also work on researching topics for my podcast, work on my intiative, and manage a fundraiser.