AP credit and Medical Schools

<p>How do medical schools look upon AP credit for premed requirements?
Also, I got a 5 in chemistry and I feel as if I have a strong background in chemistry. Would you recommend retaking Chem 141 and 142 or taking freshman orgo? I guess my question is, how difficult is freshman orgo?</p>

<p>I also got a 5 in Calculus BC and 5 in Calculus AB. While I feel great about the AB exam my junior year, BC was independent study for me my senior year and I hardly learned anything. Honestly, I don't know how I scored a 5. So, I feel like Calculus I may be too easy. But I don't feel comfortable taking multivariable. Can I just take Caluclus II then? Is one semester of calculus enough for medical schools?
Thanks!</p>

<p>Medical Schools are fine with AP credits. However, most science courses in college build on previous courses. Medical Schools are more interested in how you do in college than how many credits you came into college with. So...I would be more concerned with doing well in college classes. For Chemistry, I think jumping into Organic chemistry as a first semester freshman might be a bit of a chance. You are adjusting to a whole new way of life and orgo may be too much of an added challenge. Up to you, but consider that retaking Chem 141 and 142 will not be a piece of cake but you should have a much, much easier time than jumping into orgo without ever taking a chemistry class in college. Emory ain't high school. </p>

<p>As far math is concerned, it depends upon your major. If you plan to major in something that does not require anything beyond introductory calculus (BC), then you don't need any more math for med school. If you plan on majoring in chemistry, you will need to consider some more math. </p>

<p>All this is somthing that you should ask your advisor and get multiple other opinions.</p>

<p>However, my view is that the first semester in college is exceedingly important, especially for a premed. It is a lot easier to keep a good GPA high, than it is to bring up a mediocre GPA.</p>

<p>Also, keep in mind that med schools that don't accept AP credit require 1 year of gen chem.</p>

<p>@rpg1, why is the first semester exceedingly important?</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
How do medical schools look upon AP credit for premed requirements?

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>They often see it as inferior in some way to actually taking the equivalent course in college, so NEVER use AP credit to skip a pre-med req (especially the science ones), but only to substitute it for an upper level class in the same subject (ie. ap bio and then genetics, ap chem and then inorganic chem). Some med schools won't even accept ap credit at all so it's in your best interest to have an actual grade for every semester of AP credit you take in your core pre-med reqs.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
Would you recommend retaking Chem 141 and 142 or taking freshman orgo? I guess my question is, how difficult is freshman orgo?

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>I took orgo as a freshmen and also had a 5 on AP chem, and I would say it's doable if you put in a good amount of effort and know how to work efficiently. The actual freshmen orgo section tends to be filled with all the hardcore chem students and many Emory Scholars who are among the top freshmen in their class, and with the professor that always teaches it (Dr. Jose Soria) it's very hard to get a solid A but much easier for an A- due to the grading scale. If that scares you, I would suggest signing up for one of the regular orgo sections w/ the upperclassmen. Also keep in mind that if you take orgo as a freshmen, you'll either need to take gen. chem after or take an upper level chem class to fulfill your 4 semesters of chem (usually biochem and inorganic).</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
Can I just take Caluclus II then? Is one semester of calculus enough for medical schools?

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>Yes, that would fullfill that calc requirements for almost all med schools, but some still have a statistics requirement as well. For that take Math 107 or Math 361 (the latter requires multivariable as a prereq). Honestly though, I took multivariable as a freshmen and like most other people who got 5s on AP calc found the class to be quite easy. The only hard multivariable section here is the one with physics applications built into it (although I'm almost certain it's not offered next semester).</p>

<p>Hope this answers most of your questions.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the replies! They are EXTREMELY helpful :) I've decided I'm going to take gen chem. As for math, I'll do calculus II and statistics. </p>

<p>A few more questions...do you guys have any tips for selecting actual classes? As in...what tends to be better days for classes..MWF or TuTh? What are days most people go out and chill?</p>

<p>Would you suggest spreading the classes out? like two classes MWF and two TuTh. or focusing more on either MWF or TuTh?</p>

<p>Definitely spread your classes out - especially first semester. You'll learn over time what you like best, however, first semester, you dont know what you like and should try not to overextend yourself in one day. </p>

<p>If people go out during the week, its usually on a thursday night and sometimes tuesdays, therefore i'd recommend not taking MWF 8:30s haha</p>