AP Languages...

<p>I'm thinking of taking an AP Language test this year but our school doesn't offer the actual AP class. Instead, we have something called CIS which is College in the Schools. Basically, for the 4th and 5th years that you study the language, you take the corresponding college course except in school rather than in college. For example, students in Spanish 4 are taking the Spanish 1003 class at the U of Minnesota. I will finish the 5th year (1004 level) course this year but won't get any prep for the actual AP language test. Would you recommend me to self-study? I have difficulty in understanding spoken language and my accent is horrible. However, I am fairly good at vocab and grammar. What do you guys think?</p>

<p>The speaking part is a small section of the exam. Listening may be more of a problem, but it can be remedied simply by taking the extra time to listen to Spanish tapes, watch Univision if you have it (seems corny, but I did so for three years and now I have fairly good command of the language). If you can write well and have good reading ability, then taking the exam is not out of reach and can be done with some extra effort. If you are very good at reading comprehension and are good enough to analyze Spanish stories that are on the AP reading list (which can be found in anthologies like Abriendo Paso I/II), then the AP Lit exam might be better: there is no speaking or listening.</p>

<p>Thanks for your advice!</p>

<p>I'm not very familiar with the AP Lit exam. Is it like the SAT 2 Literature (in English, obviously) where you get passages to analyze or is it where you have to have read the books beforehand?</p>

<p>I wouldn't if I were you. When you can understand when listening, THATS when you show skill in a language.</p>

<p>You have a good point there that I didn't really think about. I'll think about it.</p>

<p>Any other ideas, guys?</p>

<p>I don't know how far you are along in college or whether you know what colleges you want to apply to, but if you do, you could look into whether those colleges will either accept transfer credit or allow you to test out of language courses (using their own tests). You may not have to pay for an AP test to get college credit for your foreign language class</p>

<p>If you do choose to take the AP test, watching TV in Spanish is a good idea. Even if you turn subtitles onm it will still help you get better at understanding the spoken language. Also, you could see if a high school teacher would be willing to help you prepare for the listening portions of the test.</p>

<p>just learn the language... thats how you prepare for any ap lang. you might wanna get a prep book tho. Maybe Princeton Review?</p>