Appeal UCSC Decision

<p>So I got rejected to UCSC, even though I know I am fit for the school and have a good enough grades to get in. I just think that they didn't know my circumstances which led to my SAT scores not being great.</p>

<p>My grades are like 3.65 non weighted and like a 3.9 weighted. my sat is 1700 with sat lit and history in the 500's and math in the 490. Math was so low because I had a calculator malfunction halfway through the test and had to cancel the score - but the old guy didn't remember that I wanted to cancel the score but he took my test halfway through so that score represents me having half the alloted time.</p>

<p>I also work hard, and the money I make goes directly towards savings for colleges. I work in a stressful high end restaurant, and if I miss much work I will get let off- and this job is too high paying to let go of so I would work then ight before SAT's and get off really late. Also I couldn't afford to take the SAT revolution classes that were offered, cause it conflicted with work.</p>

<p>So I am going to appeal UCSC and UCD but UCSC is my hope. I know I am UCSC material I just think there was a major misunderstanding. I can get awesome letters of rec, I just wonder what they should focus on- my dedication, my need to go to UCSC, why they should accept me? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>+1asdasdassaasdds</p>

<p>anyone know anythign ab out this</p>

<p>Should i do it</p>

<p>it wouldn't hurt to try... but honestly the chances of it working aren't the best. its worth a shot though.</p>

<p>So on the website it says send 1 letter of rec... but i have like 3 should is send them all regardless</p>

<p>My guess is they will want to know why you didn't follow through on cancelling the score-and why you only took the test once...legitimate questions, something i would ask</p>

<p>did you take sat2s at all or the act, that had better math scores?</p>

<p>No offense, but a "calculator malfunction" sounds like a major excuse and they will probably have no sympathy for you. Sorry to be harsh, even if its legit, it sounds like an excuse.</p>

<p>You have nothing to lose by appealing. Tell them you thought the score was cancelled. If you retook or have a previous SAT score from a different date, that should back up your claim. Send all three letters. Good Luck.</p>

<p>why didn't you retake the sats after? You do know you can take them more than once, and most colleges only care about your best score, right?</p>

<p>Generally you don't cancel your score by telling the proctor--you cancel your score by telling collegeboard after you finish the test. You have a certain time (I think it is 3 days) to cancel the score even after leaving the test site--which, obviously, you didn't do. Also, since they only take your highest score anyway, if you retook the test, then this score wouldn't mean anything--so why do you even bring it up? I'm guessing you never retook the test at all. And in this case, I can't offer you much sympathy, either. </p>

<p>Somehow, there were 10,000 students who were accepted that were able to follow the rules--but since you are working, this is not your fault. Excuse me, but please grow up. Everyone is responsible for their own actions (or lack of action)--including you. </p>

<p>I suggest you retake the SAT test and apply for spring admission to these schools if you are still really set on going to them. In the meantime, do what many people do and take classes at your local California community college--it's cheaper anyway--and all the courses you need during the first two years can be taken there and then transferred.</p>

<p>P.S. Sorry if this post seems harsh, but I can relate to your situation more than you know. My family was poor--and I was accepted to Brown University, but couldn't go because we couldn't afford it--and Brown didn't give packages then like they do now where everything is covered. As a result, I worked and paid my way through a community college and then a state 4-year college and then through UCLA's MBA program--but it can't be done by making excuses about things. Just realize that you'll have to accept the tough stuff and move on--and then you'll be better prepared for the challenges still to come. In reality it sounds like you are working really hard--and I commend you for that--and by saving the money from work and economizing by going to a CCC, you'll be better off in the long run--so don't sweat the rejections from UCSC or UCD--even though I know it must hurt a lot right now.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>