Apple TV vs. Netflix streaming

<p>I'm trying to think of a Christmas gift for DH and am considering the Apple TV, but we already have the Playstation 3 set up and stream Netflix through there. Does it end up doing essentially the same thing or am I missing something? Thx!</p>

<p>I guess the only benefit with AppleTV would be that you could buy movies & tv shows not available on Netflix. Does she already have an iPad or iTouch? If not, those are better gifts. Maybe even that new Kindle Fire.</p>

<p>I also use our Apple TV to play music from our iTunes library through the home theater speakers. It's easier than hooking up an iPod, and you can control it using the Remote app from your iPhone or iPad.</p>

<p>DH has an iPhone and an iPad. Both girls have iPod touches. 3 of us have Nooks. yeah, we like technology ;) And DH is so hard to buy for that I thought maybe Apple TV could be an idea but I don't really see the point compared to what we already have. Sigh. Back to the drawing board...</p>

<p>Don't forget to consider Google TV and Roku.</p>

<p>Sorry to go off topic. (though still gift related)</p>

<p>RobD - I'd stick with the screen concept, but add a twist. I am thinking about this tool for my H who has everything and what he doesn't have he goes out and buys.....It is a power tool with a screen and a long tube camera lens so you can see behind stuff! I saw one at HomeDepot (2 different screen sizes $200 & $300)</p>

<p>Power</a> Tools - Cordless Digital Inspection Cameras - M-Spector™ AV M12™ Cordless LITHIUM-ION Multimedia Camera Kit (17mm)</p>

<p>Kajon: if you knew my DH you would understand that there will never be a reason for me to buy anything from Home Depot for him ;) Especially power tools. Cause then we'd probably have to call him Stumpy...</p>

<p>But it's a really cool idea!</p>

<p>Razorsharp: what do Google TV and/or Roku (which I've seen a lot of ads for lately) do that Apple TV doesn't? And is there any big reason why I'd have that on top of the Playstation3 streaming netflix?</p>

<p>There are many differences, but the easiest one is picture quality. The last time I checked Apple TV offered only 720p in hi def but Google TV and Roku offered 1080p. What you see is what you get.</p>

<p>I am not sure about playstation. Can you get youtube through playstation? If not, you will probably miss having youtube in a year or so. There is already a lot of content on youtube but even more is coming with integration of youtube and Google+. For example, Google+ offers hangouts which are essentially streaming video of live events such as political figures, artists, etc. They will be integrated with youtube. </p>

<p>Also you can get Google TV already installed as part of the TV and not a separate set top box. Of course you will have to buy a new Sony TV and might not want to do that, but it's an option.</p>

<p>Apple TV has many, many integration features with the iPad and iPhone that Google TV and Roku don't. Both of those have also sold in low numbers and are in danger of being discontinued - especially Google TV. </p>

<p>As far as the 720p vs 1080p issue goes if you don't have a 50" TV or larger you can't see the difference. The 1080p also requires a lot of bandwidth on your home network.</p>

<p>Google TV has been completely uncompetitive - they need to do a respin.</p>

<p>Apple is rumored to be working on a next-generation television set - presumably it would have better integration than the current Apple TV setup.</p>

<p>I was looking at Amazon Prime since we buy a decent amount of stuff from them.</p>

<p>
[quote]
As far as the 720p vs 1080p issue goes if you don't have a 50" TV or larger you can't see the difference. The 1080p also requires a lot of bandwidth on your home network.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I notice a great deal of difference between 720 and 1080p on TVs as small as 24 inches. In fact, it is pretty noticeable. Bandwidth is irrelevant except for rural areas which do not have access to FIOS or Comcast or Timewarners latest technology. Netflix uses a lot of bandwidth regardless of internet service provider.</p>