Applied Mathematics as an International Student

<p>I am a international student, studying my undergrad in USA, most probably will be majoring in mathematics. I have always loved mathematics, and I do realize and Math goes far beyond Calculus. I was exploring my options and for grad school I though Applied Mathematics to be the sort of field I would be interested in. I have knowledge of Physics, Chemistry and Economics in some depth. Will also be concentrating in Computer Science as I go on to make more courses. </p>

<p>So what are good PHD schools for applied mathematics, which do provide aid to international students (because i just cant pay). </p>

<p>Also, what generally are the requirements to get into nice (as in top 10) schools for app math for PHD?</p>

<p>I do understand that this is just a tentative plan but I want to know what my options are and how I should proceed.</p>

<p>Much of that depends on what sort of applied math you are thinking of. A math department (where "applied math" often means "math for applications" rather than "math applied") will look for different a different preparation than biology or geology or linguistics departments.</p>

<p>The following is generic advice that applies to most top PhD programs: you want a strong background in the area(s) relevant to your graduate degree (for the top applied math programs housed in math departments, that would include a number of graduate-level math classes), relevant research experience (preferably resulting in a publication), and 3 glowing letters of recommendation from professors who know you well. If your program is asking for a GRE Subject Test, you obviously want to do well on that too.</p>

<p>
[quote]
So what are good PHD schools for applied mathematics, which do provide aid to international students (because i just cant pay).

[/quote]

Any half-decent PhD program will fund you.</p>

<p>Minimum requirements are all the same: excellent GPA, strong letters of rec and basic classes to prepare for graduate coursework; so pretty much the same for any graduate program. Obviously if you have extracurricular activities outside of the classroom you want to highlight that as well. Subject GRE's aren't really required.</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/applied-mathematics-rankings%5DHere%5B/url"&gt;http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/applied-mathematics-rankings]Here[/url&lt;/a&gt;] are the top grad programs; no surprises really.</p>