Are stay-at-home-moms too dumb to know why they are staying home?

<p>

Really? Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that. How do you get your son involved with other kids and remain connected, yourself, with what is going on in his school?</p>

<p>

LOL!! If only it were that easy!!</p>

<p>

We are starting to see that in a small, one-toe-in-the-water, way in law firms. Not all firms, not all practices, but definitely more than has been the case in the past. I think it’s a good thing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Isn’t that what he does 5 days a week, 6 hours every day? As for myself, I talk to him.</p>

<p>

Clearly you are not in healthcare. People get acutely or chronically ill all the time. Car accidents, work accidents, cancer, mental health issues, broken bones, surgery, you name it. Count yourself lucky if you have not had to deal with illness.</p>

<p>

He goes to school, right? He doesn’t volunteer to help with things in the school, share information with other parents, make sure things are running properly, does he?</p>

<p>Do you really now know what parent groups do in schools and how valuable their service is?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh, we have had the accidents and broken bones and surgery and all that. But that’s not gravely ill.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, he doesn’t. He is a student, not a school administrator. I don’t know what the parent groups do in my kid’s school. It’s basically all driven by the teachers and the administrators. Sometimes parents are invited to talk to the kids though.</p>

<p>

How much actual quality time , when your s wasnt in school, practicing piano, playing … I forget, was it rugby or soccer or something…, or doing his HW, did you and your wife spend with him?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Why not? I think it is a matter of how firm you are, and how much your spouse values the marriage/relationship.</p>

<p>Mincing words again. Gravely ill can mean a chronic illness (medical or mental health, IMO) or a life threatening illness. It happens plenty.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>We are Asian parents. What do you think?</p>

<p>

what happened to the “everyone should make their own choices in life” line that you’ve been proclaiming?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sure. But what does that have to do with throwing someone off their plan? Who doesn’t have chronic issues in their 40’s and 50’s?</p>

<p>

I think you are ducking the question.</p>

<p>The circular arguments and answering a question with a question are really tiresome.</p>

<p>

That’s not what parents’ groups do. I think you might be a little out of the loop.</p>

<p>Am I the only one posting on this forum who did NOT leave their job? I took a six month maternity leave with each of my kiddos. I was VERY lucky to have top notch child care for both of my kids…I know…some folks would argue that NO ONE can take the place of parents…but really, my child care was outstanding. The thing I DID cut back on was any extra committee work especially work that involved late afternoon or evening times. My employers were very understanding. I had actually been a very active committee member before my kids were born…and I did return to very active work once they were a LOT older. </p>

<p>Staying home vs. working with young kids is a very personal family decision. What works for one family just might not be the perfect solution for another family. </p>

<p>My employers knew my family was a top priority but this did not give me the license to NOT do my job well. I think I balanced these things well. </p>

<p>I wish the title of this thread could be changed…I almost didn’t read it…because of the way the title is worded.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s becoming a huge phenomenon in the medical community. The majority of female residents now say they will only work part-time after having kids and tons of newly minted physicians (male and female) only want to work in specialties that will allow them a decent work-life balance. There is no choice but to allow them the flexibility they demand as there’s going to be a severe physician shortage in the next decade or so in this country. Female physicians will be able to work as little or as much as they want. At my hospital, probably 20% of our physician workforce are women working part-time.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That is a very sad comment, in my opinion. Perhaps you should find out what the parent groups in your school do. Parent groups are a wealth of help in many different ways to schools.</p>