Are stay-at-home-moms too dumb to know why they are staying home?

<p>

</p>

<p>Of course. I have the choice to end the marriage or play by the rules set up when I got married, which was equal responsibility.</p>

<p>Must be nice (not) to have such a structured, rigid, planned life. I feel like I am watching “the Truman Show”, which feels like its becoming “The IP show”.</p>

<p>I think that is the appeal for many jym626. Both my sibs chose lifestyles which were very structured, & if you aren’t the sort of person who questions ideas/others, it could be pretty nice not to have to worry about how to react or even how to plan your day/year because it is all spelled out for you.</p>

<p>( of course if your plan goes off track- you don’t have a blueprint for what happens next & I have seen people practically melt down because they don’t know how to be flexible)</p>

<p>However, if you see in shades of gray instead of black/white,( or say… in Color! ) it could feel like you are the proverbial square peg in a round hole.</p>

<p>IP, I find it very hard to believe that you and your wife are 50/50 considering the amount of time you spend posting and stirring the pot here on CC. Perhaps you should reassess the split percentages.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Import doctors.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>ROFL! Touche!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>How so? I find even the chat with the teachers to be of very little value.</p>

<p>They already do, indirectly.
I am not a stats expert, but, for example, practically every single oncologist of the huge number, including at conferences, I have ever met who practices in the USA is foreign. Most (not all) did go to Med school in US. A few were female.
Just sayin’…
I think IP that your vision of universal health care, etc. could also support flex-time and part-time and child-care for all careers.
Just think how OB practices have changes- now a pregnant MOM will pick a doctor, but knows she may very well end up having a different doc in the same practice group actually deliver her baby. And these days surgeons do tend to schedule their surgeries as much as possible, partially in deference to OR and hospital logistics, partially for life-style.</p>

<p>jym, We spend about three hours every workday with the kid, and the whole weekend is spent with the kid, unless he is with his friends or doing something on his own. Even then, there is a minimum requirement that he spends x hours doing piano and y hours doing math and z hours playing squash and what have you.</p>

<p>How so? I find even the chat with the teachers to be of very little value.</p>

<p>I think that obviously depends on your priorities.
Although some people might be interested to learn more about the people their child spends their day with.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>As long as they are keeping the academic standards high and not mistreating the kids I am fine.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am all for the child care part, but I don’t see how UHC should cover flex-time and part-time. Look, this is a free country. No one is forced to take any job.</p>

<p>

gotta wonder what the teacher’s opinion is too.</p>

<p>And spending time with “the kid” may not be spending what most of us consider “quality time” with “the kid”. What a way to refer to your only child. The math isnt adding up too well if he has to spend X hrs doing piano (you earlier said you expected at least 3 hrs/day) “y” hrs doing math and “z” hrs doing squash. Grilling him about his math problems over dinner??</p>

<p>Don’t parents’ groups raise money in your child’s school, and do thinks like help arrange carpools to events, and staff things like the book sale and holiday events? You really don’t have anything like that? With whom does your child socialize?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I know that in our public schools, there are MANY things our kids would not have if parents had not raised the money, nor provided volunteer time. There are very, very few public school systems that have the kind of money to get whatever they want.</p>

<p>As long as they are keeping the academic standards high and not mistreating the kids I am fine.</p>

<p>Since there are not parent groups at the school & since you don’t speak to the teacher, how do you determine what the academic standards even are ? let alone if they are being met? ( & what would you do if they weren’t?)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Nope. The tuition is super high. The school administrators arrange for all of that. </p>

<p>My kid has friends in school if that’s what you are asking. He has 2 close friends and spends all his time with them.</p>

<p>IP, does your son interact with his teachers, or is he just “there” filling a seat and learning his academics? If the latter, he (and you) are going to be sorely disappointed when he needs teacher rec’s for college.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The academic standards are that of the IB system. We get report cards twice a year.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And yet you find chatting with complete strangers on the internet worth your time? Interesting priorities.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I just have to comment on this. My father’s parents referred to him as ‘the kid’. He stills bears emotional scars from that. I hope you don’t call him that where he can hear you.</p>