I’ve only been taught how to write 'essay like" papers… but my college admission prompt is something like this:
the year is 3000 and you/ve found a settlement, with a bunch of other people, much like earth. they selected you as president. you have adequate food and shelter for 10 years. what would you do?
so am i suppose to approach this like a story? or am i suppose to still gear it up somehow into an academic like paper…
?
of course it has to have correct grammar and spelling for whatever ‘style’…but HELP?
This doesn’t read like a story prompt to me… that said I don’t think you should write a straight up essay, like you would for school. You can still be a bit creative. I think what they’re looking for is what you would consider important in establishing a utopian society–what would you prioritize, since you won’t need to worry about food or shelter? Social services? The arts? Education? Technology? (though personally my first thought would be “why on earth have they elected ME president?” Choosing an outsider/interloper as leader is kind of weird and indicates a passive society XD)
I think this prompt is a way for admission representatives to see what you value as important and what your leadership skills are in an unconventional way.
Aren’t you a sophomore? What are you writing this prompt for, specifically? If it’s not the normal freshman-applicant prompt, that might change the responses you get.